Question about academic scholarships

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hniu

Question about academic scholarships

Post by hniu »

In addition to saving money, does academic scholarship have any other benefits? In particular, would academic scholarship (received at 11+ exam) give you any advantage when applying to 6form/university?

Thanks in advance!
ToadMum

Re: Question about academic scholarships

Post by ToadMum »

hniu wrote:In addition to saving moneamwwawy, does academic scholarship have any other benefits? In particular, would academic scholarship (received at 11+ exam) give you any advantage when applying to 6form/university?

Thanks in advance!
The only connection I can see between having entered secondary school on an academic scholarship and having an advantage when applying to university is that the former presumably indicates that you have the ability to do well in your A levels. You still have to actually get the grades.

'I got mummy 5% off my school fees because I am so clever' really won't cut it in a PS if one's predicted grades are a B and two Cs. Some admissions tutors take little or no notice of personal statements anyway unless the candidate drops a grade in their actual A levels.

For university entrance, the main thing is to convince the admissions team that you will be able to meet the academic standards they are currently setting.
Last edited by ToadMum on Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The fact that you did better than other students at 10 will not be seen as relevant when you are 18. You should have more recent results to discuss. DG
branmoment

Post by branmoment »

If it is just a label and a financial award then no. If the School runs a programme for scholars, as some do, then perhaps it might.
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

In theory it should help keeping DC on his/her toes, as the school can withdraw this award if results are below expectations. The good thing about an academic scholarship IMO is that there isn't any extra burden put on the child like a music or sports or arts scholarship where they are expected to represent the school at any event or show.
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

I suppose it doesn't confer an extra benefit, but perhaps it should instill a sense of duty to honour that merit - i.e. the desire to prove right the school's decision to award it in achieving a great outcome (and that might not just be academical).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now