Year 7 Work book recommendations - maths and english

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SleepyHead

Year 7 Work book recommendations - maths and english

Post by SleepyHead »

DD is in year 7 and I am looking for Maths resources to work on at home as she is getting bored in lessons as a lot of the topics covered are revision from the 11+ exam.

Can any one recommend any KS3 Maths work books please? Are there different work books for the different GCSE boards or does it not matter at this stage in year 7?

Also regarding English - do we carry on with comprehension practice and creative writing (as for the 11+)? I am not really sure how to progress her English with extra work at home.

I am hoping that the homework increases as the year progresses, for now things seem to be moving so slowly :roll:
Amber

Re: Year 7 Work book recommendations - maths and english

Post by Amber »

If the problem is that she has already covered work being done at school and you buy books to accelerate her, won't you just end up with the same problem when the class moves on?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Don't buy something - go on NRICH http://www.nrich.maths.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and look at their problems on the curriculum map:

http://nrich.maths.org/8517" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also look at UKMT Junior Maths challenge:

https://www.ukmt.org.uk/individual-comp ... challenge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

SleepyHead, just bear with it for now. It happens in all schools, comprehensives and grammars, simply because children come from different primary schools and different level of knowledge and the teachers need to make sure everyone is up to the same standard. From year 8, a lot of schools set them for maths, so the problem should disappear.

I think Amber is right in saying that you may simply end up creating the same issue for the future if your daughter races ahead with the curriculum.

If you want your DD to do some more challenging work, I wouldn't go for GSCE books, but do something like maths enrichment instead, i.e. work with the skills/concepts that she has already learnt but try to get her to do various math challenges. You can find those on line, but if you need more suggestions, it may be worth posting a question in the Maths section of the forum.

EDIT: sorry, Guest55, just realised I've cross-posted with you.
You have your solution now, SleepyHead :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

Thank you for all your replies. Yes I think nrich and the junior maths challenge will be a good place to start , and as you say getting her to apply her skills.

off to check out these websites now :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://nrich.maths.org/8516" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 'Live problems' are changed frequently - good solutions are published online :)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

SleepyHead wrote:Thank you for all your replies. Yes I think nrich and the junior maths challenge will be a good place to start , and as you say getting her to apply her skills.

off to check out these websites now :)
It's a pity your DD's school doesn't enter pupils into the JMC itself, though. Both DD's and DS2's schools enter the Junior, Intermediate and Senior Maths Challenges. DS2's school runs lunchtime sessions, picks the 'team' etc; in year 8, DD discovered on the day that all the top set maths girls had been entered. She was even less impressed when her little brother did better than she did :roll:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

Hi ToadMum, DD didn't mention anything about the junior maths challenge - good idea to ask the teachers, and it would keep DD motivated. I've noticed a definite slacking off from her in year 7 :( Is this normal? The homework is very light too which does not help. :?

I wonder if they enter girls in higher years or can girls in year 7 be entered too? They have a maths surgery, but that is for girls that are struggling, wonder if there is a maths challenge club as well?

Ho hum, got to ask the teachers - am the newbie in this school!
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

My DS did maths challenge every year from Y7, but I think it may have already happen this school year. In his case, it usually is just 'a special test' they do during one of the lessons, so ask your DD whether she remembers doing anything like that recently.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

This year the Junior Challenge entries have to be in by March 23rd ... competition is on Thursday 26th April.

https://www.ukmt.org.uk/individual-comp ... /#ancDates" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now