Current KEGS parents - Equipment list advice please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SlighlyStressedMum

Current KEGS parents - Equipment list advice please

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

I just got the equipment and uniform list through the post. Can anyone advise if there is any stuff they list that might not actually be needed??
marigold

Re: Current KEGS parents - Equipment list advice please

Post by marigold »

My son is in year 12 so the list may have changed a bit in the last few years. I do remember buying lots of coloured and HB/H/B pencils and drawing books on the list which never again saw the light of day.
I would however highly recommend buying two ties as, if your son is anything like mine, he will tear it off the minute he walks through the door in the afternoon, have no idea where he threw it and then have to go through some very tedious searching/shouting sessions at 7.45 the next morning.

There will be a PTA stall on the induction day in July which will sell the school recommended calculators (cheaper than Tesco), various bits and bobs in house colours and the suggested french/german dictionaries.
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

Great. Thank you! Yep I am thinking two ties sounds like a good plan!
local_lass

Post by local_lass »

My son is in Year 7 - would definitely echo 2 ties and plenty of pairs of black socks. The tracksuit bottoms aren't really needed (even my sporty son, in all the teams, has only worn his a handful of times). He has also hardly worn the black jumper. Pens, pencils etc and DT apron all needed and definitely get calculator and dictionary from PA when you know if he's doing German or French. Also not on the list - lots of Tupperware or similar pots to take cooking ingredients in to school and bring their creations home in!
local_lass

Post by local_lass »

And also white underpants! School PE shorts are an almost transparent white and it's not a good look otherwise!
KM

Post by KM »

My son is in Y10 now, so the list may have changed a bit but I don't recall there being anything on the list that he didn't use. It seemed a fairly sensible list. I second (or third!) the two ties suggestion!
Bikkigirl

Post by Bikkigirl »

My son is in year 8. We only bought the whites for when they do indoor PE and the rugby/football kit, no tracksuit and no athletics gear and it has not been an issue. Haven't seen anyone at fixtures wearing a tracksuit! Would recommend two pairs of the football/rugby socks too as they have a habit of disappearing at Bedford Fields never to be seen again! He used most of the equipment, will definitely need a few coloured pencils and has also used the set of art pencils a fair bit too. Never used to my knowledge the fine liner black pens they recommended. He also asked for a fountain pen a few weeks in as lots of his friends had them and he prefers writing with it. Also worth getting a job lot of rulers, protractors, compasses as they seem to snap/break/disappear with alarming regularity!