Catchment area

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
satkat

Catchment area

Post by satkat »

My son has got pre-determined pass mark in local grammar school, but he hasn't got the place the school ranked by highest marks first(180 places) my points the school never choose by distance or catchment, we are living 1.4 miles away from the school any change to appeals?
Tinkers

Re: Catchment area

Post by Tinkers »

You'll need to look at the admissions criteria.

Some GSs have a pass mark, score is then irrelevant and distance becomes the ranking factor. others rank on score alone so if you only just qualified and there were loads of DCs with higher scores they would get in before you, regardless of where you live.

What school are you looking at?
satkat

Post by satkat »

Queen Elizabeth's School (boys), Barnet, school cutoff marks 210, he has got 220 lowest marks 229.
Thanks
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

As far as I understand it QE have no catchment and assign places purely on score. Living that close to the school makes no difference to you unfortunately.

However there are other threads on here that are discussing the cut offs and how far the waiting list may move, based on how far it has moved in past years. I don't know for definite for QE but other schools will look at the distance form the school when there are several on the same score.

Eta it might be worth a look at this thread
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 71&t=46084" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

satkat wrote:Queen Elizabeth's School (boys), Barnet, school cutoff marks 210, he has got 220 lowest marks 229.
Thanks
QE's sole admissions criterion is academic ability, i.e. by the score achieved in the entrance exam. The school has no catchment area at all, which is why you will read on this forum of boys being sent there from as far away as Amersham, passing several grammar schools which just aren't the top boys' grammar in the country on the way. But I digress.

QE also only reports scores as a whole number, so there will be lots of boys on the same score, especially near the middle of the distribution. It is at this point that distance from the school (not 'catchment') seems to come into play, with the boys living closer to the school being ranked higher up than those living further away.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now