AGSG, MHSG, WGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kanye

AGSG, MHSG, WGS

Post by kanye »

Would anyone be willing to share their views on Withington vs AGGS vs MHSG? What strengths do these private schools offer more than AGSG - facilities?
Catseye

Re: AGSG, MHSG, WGS

Post by Catseye »

Since no one has replied to your enquiry I will give you my opinion. WGS has no special facilities, it is quite a claustrophobic environment set in a rundown area of Manchester but the main theatre is something to behold -MGHS is more fancy with more facilities but not as academic as WGS.

The facilities at my son's school in Hartford(co-ed) are much better but completely wasted on him since his only extracurricula interest is computer coding :roll: just as well he wants his hobby to be his career :D
beenish

Post by beenish »

dont know abt private but aggs no doubt v competitive. girls work at higher level. standard of teaching ill rate 2 out of 5. reason being u need to get private tutoring if u r not much of help and daughter is not keen of studies. if daughter is in year 8 she will be working course of year 9. tests are of v high standard. assessmemts are tricky. they teach children a discipline. there is no dull student in any of the forms. all are brilliant n sharp which creates an environment of competition.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

beenish wrote:dont know abt private but aggs no doubt v competitive. girls work at higher level. standard of teaching ill rate 2 out of 5. reason being u need to get private tutoring if u r not much of help and daughter is not keen of studies. if daughter is in year 8 she will be working course of year 9. tests are of v high standard. assessmemts are tricky. they teach children a discipline. there is no dull student in any of the forms. all are brilliant n sharp which creates an environment of competition.
Your DD must be attending another AGGS to mine the first 2 yrs are quite relaxed but the pressure does mount in yr 9.

For those who have passed for 2016 do not be put off with unfounded horror stories of overly academic or pressurised environment-the pressure is applied at the right time i.e yr 9.

So welcome to a great school :D
kanye

Post by kanye »

Thank you catseye.

People suggest mhsg is not as academic but I find myself wondering if this is a bit of a myth. I would like to know if it meets high attainers academic needs well. I am presuming so, as its A level results are very good.
lymmmum

Post by lymmmum »

hi
my DD is y8 @MHSG she also passed WGS and AGGS, but always had her heart set on MHSG. She is very happy there and has friends at WGS and AGGS. MHSG is academic, in year 7 she studied 4 languages and 3 sciences, y8 is now 3 languages and in total she has 16 subjects, her friends at both schools study less and have a lot less homework and assessments. The pastoral care at MHSG is excellent and study skills plus work/life balance are emphasized and focused on thorough out with a special activities week on each to help cement the message. The girls are encouraged to be resilient and to develop the courage to tackle things they find hard or uncomfortable. the school do IB as well as Alevels and ensure the girls are aware of all options open to them
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

https://www.qebarnet.co.uk/files/Sunday ... _02_16.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This only considers academics not pastoral care or facilities.

WGS has consistently outperformed MHSG in academics.

the pecking order is;

WGS closely followed by MGS

Then followed by AGGS,MHSG and The Grange

Then followed by AGSB,Kings/Queens of Chester, Boltons boy/girl division, Stockport Grammar, Cheadle hulme,MTS liverpool .....Most of the other Trafford Grammars
enema

Post by enema »

Thank you Catseye.
enigma

Post by enigma »

The above data (courtesy of Catseye) only shows the failure of comprehensives including grammar schools over independent schools. The government should reinstate grammar schools and abolish independent schools to put all intellectually able children in equal footing.
Image "A computer would deserve to be called intelligent if it could deceive a human into believing that it was human."
- Alan Turing
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

enigma wrote:The above data (courtesy of Catseye) only shows the failure of comprehensives including grammar schools over independent schools
What it actually shows is the more selective a school is the higher up the tables it is-it has no measure of value added the most important measure.
Cor blimey, who would've thought it!
enigma wrote:The government should reinstate grammar schools and abolish independent schools to put all intellectually able children in equal footing.
The government should abolish all selective schools to put all intellectually able children on an equal footing.

Just another way of looking at it. :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now