Highgate or City of London 'taster' day

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Schoolbaglady

Highgate or City of London 'taster' day

Post by Schoolbaglady »

Have found this forum very late in the day. Story of one's life. Really interested in all the views on South Hampstead v Highgate v Channing v City. Astonished dd received offers from all above yesterday but am wondering if others in same position have been invited to taster sessions at Highgate and City at the same time next Tuesday and how they intend to deal with this clash (if like us, are in quandary on how to choose)? Still in state of Total Stun to be in this luxurious position....
herewegoagain

Post by herewegoagain »

Yes, we're in exactly same position. I was planning to ring City to see if we could visit another time, with the view that they should be willing to accommodate us at this stage! Do you have any preference at the moment?
Schoolbaglady

Post by Schoolbaglady »

Many thanks for your reply. Yes, we are thinking of doing the same. Looking at the format for each visit, it seems that the Highgate
session would be difficult/impossible to duplicate on another day, whereas City are not attempting to provide taster lessons and perhaps one could arrange a retour. As you say, bit of a buyer's market now (at last) altho' I expect all schools have well-stocked waiting lists.

Ridiculous when you think about the months/years we've had to think about possibilities but we are still in an agony of indecision over all this. Husband leans towards Highgate - environment, green space, sporting opportunities (mind you dd is not particularly sporty so this cuts no ice with her), co-ed. Dd inclines to Channing - loved the art and friendly atmosphere. I'm loathe to let City go by - seemed very focused with a stimulating atmosphere. Could almost taste the intellectual rigour. Big pow wow planned for later. Meanwhile I have square eyes devouring as much as I can from this wonderful forum full of fascinating info and gazing at all the bumph from the schools (for the nth time)....

Then of course there's 4th March - HBS? Probably not but lap of Gods now.
herewegoagain

Post by herewegoagain »

We've just about narrowed it down to Highgate or City although Channing is difficult to refuse as dd has scholarship there. Like you, I'm loathe to turn down City as I think it could be such an enriching experience and I favour girls schools. However, dd is sporty and I think would love Highgate for that reason. So difficult!
Schoolbaglady

Post by Schoolbaglady »

Husband has now chucked further spanner into works by rethinking South Hampstead. Points out that the level of emphasis on creative writing could be big plus in terms of dd's strengths. It also talks about 4 acres of sportsgrounds so no slouch on that front either.

Am getting to the point where I'm going to toss a coin.

Must refocus on the most important factor. A school where dd will be happiest! Sigh.

Do you have a state option in the offing to further muddy the waters?
beenherebeforebutnoeasier

Post by beenherebeforebutnoeasier »

although SH don't have an open morning as such, they were extremely welcoming last time around and we spent a morning there - with about four other undecided families - and saw the school in very normal operation. The head also gave us a generous amount of time as a family which was very helpful and we remained torn till the last moment! If in doubt I'd ring and see if they would do the same this year.
We are moving more towards it I think! But who knows!
schoolbaglady have sent you a pm.
herewegoagain

Post by herewegoagain »

Hi all

I rang City today about possibly coming to see the school later in the week as their open morning clashes with Highgate taster day. They were rather unhelpful I have to say. I can see it from their point of view that the whole process is very disruptive to their normal teaching but it did make me feel rather unwelcome. It was a bit 'take it or leave it'.....
Schoolbaglady

Post by Schoolbaglady »

Beenherebefore, really sorry, don't think I have received your pm but many thanks for the useful advice re S Hampstead.

Herewegoagain, have sent you a pm.
beenherebeforebutnoeasier

Post by beenherebeforebutnoeasier »

schoolbaglady - sorry about that - computer problems my end I think. have tried again.
Let me know ..