discounttravel by c2c for from upminster/barking to southend

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tian

discounttravel by c2c for from upminster/barking to southend

Post by tian »

Good evening,
I am doing some research in order to know what is the best option and I would like to know if somebody has got more info regarding discounted travel C2C for 11-15y from barking/Upminster to southend.
Yesterday I called the C2C in order to know how much would be for a 11-15 from barking/Upminster to southend and the fare was out of order for this age.
weekly would be £36.00
monthly £279
6m £1600
The guy told me this is the cheapest travelling on the C2C.
The C2C takes only 35min to reach there.
I also checked the abellio greater Anglia and the annual one is about £900 but min travelling time is 55 min and can travel only on this company.

Does somebody knows more about the C2C? Is it possible that for a 11years old costs so much to travel on this company?
Thanks
Barbara
Kingfisher

Re: discounttravel by c2c for from upminster/barking to sout

Post by Kingfisher »

Why is this unreasonable? The distance is huge. A zone 1-9 weekly travel card (London) for someone aged 11-15 cost £42, which is more than that. Is your DC going to school in Southend? Surely you looked at this before you applied? If it's too much, you might have to find a school much closer to home.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

tian wrote:Good evening,
I am doing some research in order to know what is the best option and I would like to know if somebody has got more info regarding discounted travel C2C for 11-15y from barking/Upminster to southend.
Yesterday I called the C2C in order to know how much would be for a 11-15 from barking/Upminster to southend and the fare was out of order for this age.
weekly would be £36.00
monthly £279
6m £1600
The guy told me this is the cheapest travelling on the C2C.
The C2C takes only 35min to reach there.
I also checked the abellio greater Anglia and the annual one is about £900 but min travelling time is 55 min and can travel only on this company.

Does somebody knows more about the C2C? Is it possible that for a 11years old costs so much to travel on this company?
Thanks
Barbara
If I were you, I would buy weekly tickets. 4 x £36 = £144. So 10 months worth of weekly tickets would be approx £1440, thus saving yourself nearly £2000 on the price quoted for 2 six monthly tickets.

Are you sure those prices are correct? Usually weekly tickets are the most expensive option not the cheapest.

We used to pay £1300 a year for Chelmsford to Southend for the school bus.

It was a deal breaker for my niece, as being one of 4 children and with only one wage they simple could not afford that kind of money on a school bus.
Last edited by Blitz on Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
tian

Post by tian »

Kingfisher wrote:Why is this unreasonable? The distance is huge. A zone 1-9 weekly travel card (London) for someone aged 11-15 cost £42, which is more than that. Is your DC going to school in Southend? Surely you looked at this before you applied? If it's too much, you might have to find a school much closer to home.
First, of course I checked before applying, as I mentioned I am looking all the options.
Second thing, I don't think the way you replied sound very polite, doesn't it? The last two questions were not really a nice way to answer someone. I've just asked if someone has got more info that's it.
Thanks
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think you are a "victim" of the frustration of a lot of people on here who have been here many years & every year there are a crop of people who gain a place at a grammar school, having applied to any grammar school they can, & then when they get a place they start wondering how on earth they are going to get there. This may not be the case for you, or the people I have asked the same question, but that is where it is coming from.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Actually, it's Abellio Greater Anglia you need to contact:

http://www.greenrailtravel.co.uk/acatal ... ckets.html

All the Southend grammar schools are on the scheme, but I think you have to phone up to buy tickets for the Westcliff High Schools.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tian

Post by tian »

ToadMum wrote:Actually, it's Abellio Greater Anglia you need to contact:

All the Southend grammar schools are on the scheme, but I think you have to phone up to buy tickets for the Westcliff High Schools.
Thank you for the info Toadmum, I will call them. In fact as I mentioned on the original message, I checked them and saw they do service to the grammar schools.
Thanks again
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

tian wrote:
ToadMum wrote:Actually, it's Abellio Greater Anglia you need to contact:

Thank you for the info Toadmum, I will call them. In fact as I mentioned on the original message, I checked them and saw they do service to the grammar schools.
Thanks again
This is a specific service for students at certain schools and colleges; the tickets are not the child rate season tickets you can buy for any child's journey via the usual 'purchase tickets' options for the rail companies, which as you said, if purchased through the 'public' Greater Anglia would only be for use on their lines, e.g.Romford - Southend Victoria. Green Rail Travel offers a particularly good deal for students aged 16 and over, who would normally have to buy an adult rate season ticket. DS1 got a huge amount of use out of his whilst he was in the sixth form, as his girlfriend lived very close to school :lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tian

Post by tian »

scary mum wrote:I think you are a "victim" of the frustration of a lot of people on here who have been here many years & every year there are a crop of people who gain a place at a grammar school, having applied to any grammar school they can, & then when they get a place they start wondering how on earth they are going to get there. This may not be the case for you, or the people I have asked the same question, but that is where it is coming from.
Before applying I did some search already. So I don't belong to the 'crop of people' I know what I am doing. I know there are parents who have got kids going to grammar schools already and consequently have got more knowledge and experience in fact of transport or anything else. My query is just to know if somebody have got more info as many parents replied and gave very useful info. After all, I believe that this forum is made for helping or giving advise each other and not criticising or classifying other people where they come from.
Thanks
mad?

Post by mad? »

tian wrote: My query is just to know if somebody have got more info as many parents replied and gave very useful info. After all, I believe that this forum is made for helping or giving advise each other and not criticising or classifying other people where they come from.Thanks
Of course it is Tian and I am glad you have got the help you needed. The'crop' of people referred to have been helped for many years by regular posters here, usually lurking and providing not help/support themselves, rarely saying thank you and then asking quite ludicrous questions on allocation day which make it clear they have ignored the best advice. I appreciate that you are not one of these, but understand the sense of frustration other posters feel in general with this type of issue, particularly when there are appeals questions etc which tend a times to get lost in the melee.

Congratulations to on your DC and well done. Perhaps you can now share the benefits of your experiences/advice and support of others going forward, if you look at Scarymum's profile you will see that is what she has been doing for several years.
mad?