Rayleigh to WHSG travel options

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Justchat

Rayleigh to WHSG travel options

Post by Justchat »

Hi,
What are the travel options from Rayleigh to WHSG pls? Also, are there any other yr 7 girls (2016 intake) from Rayleigh that dd can travel with.
Thanks
scary mum

Re: Rayleigh to WHSG travel options

Post by scary mum »

Did you not think of sorting all this out before applying? I'm astonished by the number of people who get places at schools which may be quite some distance away without having a plan of how their child is going to get there ,& back 5 days a week for 7 years, as well as for matches, parents evenings, concerts etc etc
scary mum
2sons

Post by 2sons »

I think there are a couple of public bus options from rayleigh. First no. 25 and arriva no. 1. No. 1 will mean a walk from the London road, which plenty do. An octopus four weekly ticket costs £44 and can be used on both arriva and first buses.
voyagers

Post by voyagers »

The Stephensons 816 is a schoolbus that serves several of the secondary schools in the westcliff area. It's very safe - no adult is insane enough to try and board, though theoretically it takes any passenger. The timetable is here
http://www.stephensonsofessex.com/admin ... 816-52.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

scary mum wrote:Did you not think of sorting all this out before applying? I'm astonished by the number of people who get places at schools which may be quite some distance away without having a plan of how their child is going to get there ,& back 5 days a week for 7 years, as well as for matches, parents evenings, concerts etc etc

I think people do a bit of looking beforehand but not hugely so until they know where they're going
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

2sons wrote:I think there are a couple of public bus options from rayleigh. First no. 25 and arriva no. 1. No. 1 will mean a walk from the London road, which plenty do. An octopus four weekly ticket costs £44 and can be used on both arriva and first buses.
I thought that I only paid £42 for DS2's current Octopus, but it may have been £44! The Stephensons bus is useful if you are on its route and if an Octopus card can be used, which I assume it can. As it is only a limited service, if your DD wants to take part in an after school activity or hang out in Leigh or Southend for a while with friends, being able to just go on a 'normal' bus would be a bonus.

Other options are the 20 to Bridgwater Drive (c. 10 minute walk to school via Treecot Drive), the 3 to Chalkwell schools (10-15 minutes via Nelson Road and Eastwood Boulevard or Nelson Rd / Manchester Drive / Middlesex Avenue) or the X30 to Kent Elms (add on crossing the A127 and a walk halfway up Bridgwater Drive to the no20 option). It depends on whereabouts in Rayleigh you are starting from?

Scary Mum - this is actually not a very long journey - e.g. from the nearer parts of Rayleigh, the no 20 or the 25 take about 20 / 25 minutes to get to DS2's school, which is a bit further than the school the OP is asking about. Rest assured we are not in Southall to Hampstead Garden Suburb territory here :lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I did realise that after posting (my geography of the area clearly isn't great) & I apologise for jumping down the OPs throat :)
scary mum
Justchat

Post by Justchat »

Thanks a lot for your responses, the octopus ticket is a brilliant idea at £42 for four weeks!! It will also give dd the local bus option when she has after school activities. We are new to the area and not yet used to the public transport as we were initially considering the consortium buses.
Didn't know about the bus 816 until now, dd will be pleased to travel with other students on board!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

:)

Do check with Stephensons, but it looks like a public service just run extra to the timetable on schooldays, so they should accept Octopus.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now