Which grammar schools are easily reached from Bromley?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Novice mum

Which grammar schools are easily reached from Bromley?

Post by Novice mum »

Hi all,
Just looking for a little advice from parents who have sent or are planning on sending their kids to grammar school. I have a 9 yr old currently in year 4, he seems bright enough so we are looking into doing the 11 plus. What grammar schools are easy to travel to from bromley? We are the bromley north end of Bromley. Obviously St Olaves is ideal if he got in.... The other option could be Chis and sids ( do they have any buses to / from Bromley?)... But are there other options that are possible..... Any grammar schools with private buses from Bromley . Or others that are an easier commute than they may seem initially. Not so sure my little man would be able to cope with a lot of bus/ train changes.
Also if we did the bexley test would he only get a place if he was in the top 180 results.
Thanking you in advance .
Fingerscrossedmum

Re: Which grammar schools are easily reached from Bromley?

Post by Fingerscrossedmum »

Hi
The 269 bus goes directly from Bromley North to both Chis and Sid and Beths (and Townley) and is full of Bromley children. Assuming no traffic problems, it's a 40-45 minute trip from Bickley station to Beths during school rush hour.

It's a highly social time for them, DS goes to Beths and I was a bit worried it being all boys but he has made friends with a number of the Townley girls!!

DS is in Y8 and his friend is in Bromley N and wasn't top 180.
Novice mum

Post by Novice mum »

Thanks fingers crossed mum! That helps . Have since found out is a bus service near us that goes to dartford grammar .... So all this opens up new possibilities! Our primary school is rubbish for getting any information...for 11 plus we are definitely on our own. The head doesn't encourage it! So thanks again!
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

You do not need to be in top 180 to qualify for a Bexley school if outside Bexley. If you get a pass then you need to meet the oversubscription criteria which is predominantly distance. The Bexley booklet gives distances for past years. Note last year 5,500 sat the Bexley test so top 180 really is a high target.

Other schools I know Bromley children head to include the Kent grammars Dartford, The Judd and Skinners but as out of county you need high scores and some have changed their requirements recently to mean fewer out of county places. Rumours are that Weald of Kent is coming out really far this year due to extra class so keep an eye on that sort of information for your year of entry.

Do also consider the long day - a good local comp is probably better than a long day at an ok grammar.
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

I wouldn't exactly describe any of the Bexley GS as "OK". Think they are probably all pretty good although some may be less suitable depending on the DC concerned.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I wasn't necessarily referring to Bexley Grammars as OK, I would be very happy for DD to go to them but it was a general comment about grammars - not any one or group in particular.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

We are in Bromley North area. DS is in Y9 at Dartford and my eldest DD has just been offered a 6th form place there for September. It's very doable from Bromley. Others travel to the Wilmington grammars and even as far as Judd, as well as the Bexley GSs already mentioned.
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

I can't really think of an "ok" GS in the area to be honest. I think they are all pretty good. DD is in her GCSE year, predicted 11 A* without the need for any extra tuition/tutoring. Good mix of subjects and she has been very happy there since the day she started year 7. Not sure what more I could expect from a school.
Novice mum

Post by Novice mum »

Thank you everyone for all your useful information!
Now have a better idea of which schools to focus on and visit!
Does anyone know what was the cut off point for the top 180 this year in bexley?
What result was needed to get into St Olaves?
What scores were needed to get into dartford out of county ?
If I rang the schools / bexley would they have that information?
Just wondering how high a standard he has to attain ......
Thanks again!
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Novice mum wrote: Does anyone know what was the cut off point for the top 180 this year in bexley?
What result was needed to get into St Olaves?
What scores were needed to get into dartford out of county ?
If I rang the schools / bexley would they have that information?
Just wondering how high a standard he has to attain ......
Thanks again!
A lot of that information is here on the Forum somewhere. If you browse back on the thread to results day and offer day. For Bexley the pass was 215 and the top 180 was 249. 5,499 sat Bexley Sept 2015 which was a big leap from the previous year. St Olaves I don't think people 'know' as this year was the first year of the two stage test and 400 went through to stage two (I read elsewhere but not certain of this figure). I understand to the second stage. For Dartford Boys I read on the Kent thread that it was IC 351 OOC 375 as of offer day but this is subject to change (usually downward but can go up if high scorers go on wait list).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now