Appeal- missed a whole section

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Lizhill

Appeal- missed a whole section

Post by Lizhill »

My Dd missed out a whole section in her exam still she ended up in 60s in her waiting list .We are thinking of appealing. She missed out writing her composition and continued with her compehension. She was aware of the format but on that day mistake happened . I can only say this is our bad luck.Is there any reasonable chance based on this reason.
Other than this particular exam she has done exceptionally well in all the other exam. Unfortunately this happens to be our first choice school. :(
What should we support our case ? That is what sort of evidences might help?
Any help is highly appreciated.
Amber

Re: Appeal- missed a whole section

Post by Amber »

Have you established why she missed it out?
MaggieMay

Post by MaggieMay »

You will need strong academic evidence for your appeal - can you provide school reports, letter from school to confirm that she is of 'suitable academic ability' for the school. If you can clarify with her the reason for missing out the section (was it a time issue or did she just miss the question?), you can tone your appeal accordingly. Hopefully there is a reason for her missing it out and not that she ran out of time. Perhaps something from her English teacher to support her academic ability in the subject would also be a good idea.
Lizhill

Post by Lizhill »

Thank you Amber and Maggieway.

This is for Hbs second round. After the exam Dds feedback was there was one lengthy comprehension question and no composition. I was surprised but I did not take it seriously as the next day she was sitting for Nlcs . It's only after hers shocking result on March 1st that I sensed something might have gone wrong terribly. I enquired from a forum member whose Dd got in Hbs and confirmed that there was a composition to do as well. Dd does not remember seeing it and was shocked to hear about it. She may have completely overlooked the section in pressure.
I will try to get reference from her teacher as you suggested. She is academically brilliant and her school reports will support that.
She got offer from Nlcs as well. I am not sure Hbs will be interested in this aspect.
Amber

Post by Amber »

The obvious thing seems to be to ask the school to look at her paper. Have you tried that? Outside chance (tiny) that her paper was given to her without the composition? In which case you're in - though I imagine the marker would notice. And if she did overlook it in pressure then that would help an appeal case.

I get muddled up with all these acronyms - this is not a private school is it? I've never heard of state schools using compositions at 11 plus level - I wonder how they mark them.
Lizhill

Post by Lizhill »

Thank you Amber. The school is Hbs. First thing Monday morning will be a call to school.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Amber wrote:The obvious thing seems to be to ask the school to look at her paper. Have you tried that? Outside chance (tiny) that her paper was given to her without the composition? In which case you're in - though I imagine the marker would notice. And if she did overlook it in pressure then that would help an appeal case.

I get muddled up with all these acronyms - this is not a private school is it? I've never heard of state schools using compositions at 11 plus level - I wonder how they mark them.
Henrietta Barnett has two stage test:

There are two parts.
Round One: Approximately 70 minutes – verbal and numerical reasoning.
Round Two: Approximately 70 minutes – English and Mathematics.
English – questions to test comprehension and creative writing skills. The writing task may be two shorter pieces of writing or an extended piece, which can be a creative task, a discussion or opinion or a response to a scenario. Mathematics – questions to test problem solving skills
All tests are appropriate to Key Stage 2.

Part 1 ( Verbal Reasoning and Numerical Reasoning) is set by CEM Durham University
Part 2 (English and Mathematics) is set by the school
SCORES The results of part one will be combined, standardised and placed in rank order. The top 500 candidates will then have their English and Maths tests marked. The results of all 4 sections will be combined and placed in order of rank.
Lizhill

Post by Lizhill »

Amber wrote:The obvious thing seems to be to ask the school to look at her paper. Have you tried that? Outside chance (tiny) that her paper was given to her without the composition? In which case you're in -
This was my Dd first reaction...that her paper did not include composition. Well I don't accept this as it maybe possible but chances are almost nil.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now