How did the Orpington schools do in Olaves and Newstead?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mumsdarling2

How did the Orpington schools do in Olaves and Newstead?

Post by mumsdarling2 »

I am posing this question purely out of curiosity. There are always rumours about the number of children gaining an offer from each school. Some schools have a reputation for supporting the idea of grammar schools and some don't. Whether a primary school supports 11+ or not, I believe that the way they teach greatly determines a child's chance of success at these exams. Of course as parents we do have to top-up the children's preparation but a big part of the learning happens at school. So how did the Orpington schools do this year?
matdanjosh

Re: How did the Orpington schools do in Olaves and Newstead?

Post by matdanjosh »

Warren Road have 5 boys into Olaves and I know of a further 2 who put Judd as their first choice. Not sure about Newstead but similarly 2 girls put Twiggs as first choice.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

mumsdarling2 wrote:I am posing this question purely out of curiosity. There are always rumours about the number of children gaining an offer from each school. Some schools have a reputation for supporting the idea of grammar schools and some don't. Whether a primary school supports 11+ or not, I believe that the way they teach greatly determines a child's chance of success at these exams. Of course as parents we do have to top-up the children's preparation but a big part of the learning happens at school. So how did the Orpington schools do this year?
I'm not in Orpington, but it's an interesting question so I thought I would chip in. In our primary, over the last few years, the number of children securing places in the grammars has varied between a handful and over 20, whether the school supported the idea or not. The key factor here seems to be a number of parents prepared to take their children through 11+. There are many different reasons why some people decide to go down the selective schools route and some don't. Sometimes, it may be a large group; at other times no more than 10 go for 11+ and if 6 or 7 of them get places, it may not seem like many, even though it is quite a high success rate. It is interesting to see how many children from a particular primary go to grammars, but the numbers don't always tell the whole story - something to bear in mind if someone applies for a place in a reception class based on the latest number of year 6 children going to grammar schools.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Thank you matdanjosh and purpleduck for your input. It was expected that DCs from Warren Road would do very well and it seems to be true. Well done to all of them. A parent pm'd that Tubbenden has 3 children in Olaves and 3 in Newstead.

Warren Road is an outstanding school so there were high expectations. How did the others like Perry Hall, Green Street Green, Holy Innocents, Farnborough and Darrick Wood do? It is a lot of information to ask for but it would be great if parents could share this information.
luckydad

Post by luckydad »

Don't forget The Highway - they had a boy go to St Os last year.
apprentice

Post by apprentice »

I think it would be helpful to know how big the school is. Last year, St James RC Primary and Crofton Junior Primary respectively sent 4 girls to Newstead Wood. However, St James RC Primary being a single form entry school and Crofton 6 form, 4 girls out of 30 children went to NW at St. James and 4 girls out of 180 children did so in Crofton.

At St James Primary, 13 children out of 30 went to a grammar school last year 2015.
NEWSTEAD WOODS (4)
ST OLAVES (1)
TONBRIDGE GIRLS (3)
THE JUDD (1)
CHISLEHURST & SIDCUP (3)
SKINNERS (1)

Total of 13 kids went to a grammar in 2014.
NEWSTEAD WOODS (2)
ST OLAVES (1)
TONBRIDGE GIRLS (2)
TONBRIDGE WELLS GIRLS (1)
CHISLEHURST & SIDCUP (5)
WILMINGTON BOYS (1)
WILMINGTON GIRLS (1)

As the school doesn't help children towards 11+ at all (as a matter of fact, they frown upon tutoring), it all comes down to the parents. I don't have a full picture of this year yet but at least two girls achieved over 240 at the Newstead Wood exam.
Last edited by apprentice on Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
robbedyak

Post by robbedyak »

Tubbenden Primary, Orpington:

St. Olave's - 4 Boys
Newstead Wood - Not sure how many
nervousnelly

Post by nervousnelly »

My eldest DS started at Olave's in 2014 and at the induction eve the Headmaster said that the boys that year came from 95 different schools. Given that there are only 128 per year, that suggests that there are very few primary schools that would have multiple boys going to Olave's in any one year. That year, 5 boys from my DS's primary (other side of Bromley) started at Olave's. I was told that having such a large number of boys from one school is unusual, although one year there were 7 from our primary! This year there are only 2.

There tend to be a lot more girls going to Newstead from our primary in each year - regularly half a dozen or more.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I don't know the exact numbers from Bromley High ( 2 classes of 24) who are going as some took the test and passed but are choosing to stay in the independent sector. I think the lack of head at Newstead makes it an unknown for them they don't want to try. We think it is quite exciting that DD will be joining at the same time as the new head and they will be new together. I also don't hear all the gossip as I don't do the pickups or drop offs. I know of at least five who are going to Newstead and DD is over the moon one of those is her best friend, one to Townley, but most are staying on. I know of several at Crofton this year going to Chis n Sid but only know a few parents with Y6 children there. I think Wilmington didn't come out far enough to cover Orpington / Petts Wood this year so that has scuppered the plans of some who only passed the Kent test but didn't do well enough to get ToGs, Dartford, etc.
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Some very interesting statistics. Lot of friends have been disappointed with Dartford. They got a place on the waiting list.

I agree with the comment about preparation at home. Though I extended DSs learning and hoped for the best, I still depended on the school to get his foundations correct and secure. I do think there is a huge disparity between the various Orpington schools. Some seem to go the extra mile and thoroughly support their students but others don't seem to be so diligent. This is probably why there is such a desperate desire for places in certain schools.

However coming back to the topic, nervousnelly shared an interesting fact - children in 2014 came from 95 schools. Does it mean that there is a huge geographic spread (if that is the right word)? Or is a concentration of successful candidates in/around Orpington?