How do you register for a child to take the eleven plus?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dopeybabboon

How do you register for a child to take the eleven plus?

Post by dopeybabboon »

hi,
my family are considering the option of my younger sister Sophie (9yrs old) taking the 11+ when the time comes as the local comprehensives all have very poor results, even when traveling out of the area into the next borough (we live near the border) the school isnt all that great. it has better exams results (closer to national average) but the behavior of both pupils and teachers leaves much to be desired. i know this as my other sister (who chose not to take the 11+ as she didnt feel it was for her) who is 15yrs old attends there, we tried to move her to another school during year 9 but was unable to achieve this due to no free spaces elsewhere. Also bullying is apparently rife there which isnt ideal as Sophie is partially deaf in both ears.

I took my 11+ a number of years ago (im 19 now), my primary school (Corringham Primary School in Thurrock) gave the option of students taking the exam and i choose to do so with no pressure from my parents. I passed the exam with flying colours and went to my first choice school, Southend HIgh School For Girls. i thouroughly enjoyed my time there but unfortunately had to leave in yr10 due to exteme ill health.

Anyway we have since moved to another town (South Ockendon, Thurrock) so Sophie does not attend the same primary school as i did and the one she attends does not routinely enter its pupils into the exam. Please could someone advise us of how to enter her ourselves when the time comes, so that she has the same oppertunities as i had available (if she chooses to of course!)

PLEASE HELP as we have no idea where to start!!!!!!!!

THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Guest »

All the information you need is here;

http://www.csse.org.uk/

or ring the 01245 348257
dopeybabboon

thankyou

Post by dopeybabboon »

thankyou to whom ever posted the rply to my question. i have been to the site and found exactly what i was after. thanks again.

Post by Guest »

Hi, it was me! Can I give you a tip? Things have moved on so much in the last 10 years as far as the competitiveness of the 11+ is concerned. Tutoring is now no longer a cottage industry, it is a practice being carried out on an industrial scale. My child attended a very academic private school which prepared her, with special classes in verbal reasoning etc., for at least 2 full terms before the 11+. More than half of the children at the school achieved a grammar school place. Every single one of those children, with one exception, was additionally privately tutored outside school. One 11+ tutor in Chelmsford has 40-50 children on his books at any one time and each of those is pre-selected to guarantee him a high pass rate. Find a tutor now, to start just before next Easter. It will cost around £25 for an hour’s lesson. The total cost will be between £700 - £1000. I sincerely hope your sister gets a place but it’s not a level playing field and if you can possibly afford it, find a good tutor. Don't listen to any of the rubbish you might read from parents claiming their children din't do any work or get any help and still walked the exam. My child scored 65% in an actual 11+ verbal reasonong paper that she took cold just after easter last year. By November, with help, she'd added 30%.