STAHS waiting list

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

St Albans Dad

STAHS waiting list

Post by St Albans Dad »

Does anyone know if any girls on the waiting list are likely to get an offer?

How many girls on the waiting list got offers last year?

Thanks
Daogroupie

Re: STAHS waiting list

Post by Daogroupie »

Yes, lots of places will be given up Monday now that the state school allocations are through. I know a big group of girls who got Habs and STAHS and St Helens who will all take Habs.

I think they will wait until Tuesday and then do some phoning around. I would expect quite a few will get a call.

But make sure you contact them personally today and tell that it is your first choice and you would accept an offer immediately on the phone. Then they will call you before others that might need time to decide.

I know of a student offered a place in May last year. DG
St Albans Dad

Post by St Albans Dad »

Surely the school knows roughly how many will turn them down as they over offer accordingly.

Is there reason to believe that more girls will turn them down this year than normal or do the school always plan to use the reserve list?
St Albans Dad

Post by St Albans Dad »

Anyone heard any news?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The school does not know the personal circumstances of those with offers. Even the prep school dds may have other plans. I know of two WH prep girls who turned down St Albans for DAO on Friday. I also know of ten other girls who have turned down St Albans for Habs. NLCS and St Helens so there should be some places coming up this week. Have you contacted them to make your interest and intention to accept a place really clear? DG
St Albans Dad

Post by St Albans Dad »

Yes I have spoken to them. Do you think there will be more girls turning them down this year? If it is a normal amount of girls surely they take this into account by over offering?
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

It's almost impossible for schools to correctly anticipate this on the nail every year. I'm afraid there will be subtle differences each year. I do feel for you St Albans Dad, and hope you hear good news soon. I know people who were offered from waiting lists (not at STAHS) in June - as the grammar school wait lists move so will the independent schools. Some places may even come up in year 7. You just need to keep in contact with the school so they know you are still interested and would accept straight away if a place was offered to you.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

As I have already said, what does any school know about the personal motivations of the families that have the offers?

Look at my other posts on St Albans. This is a school that is going through changes. It is moving from a mainly local school to being the top school in the North London consortium this year as City leaves.

I have been watching this school for nine years now and it has gone from being laughably easy to get into compared to the local grammar schools to turning many students down.

I am interested to know what type of preparation you did and if your dd is from a prep school?

You can pm me if you like and in turn I can discuss some things not suitable for a public forum. DG
AnitaT

Post by AnitaT »

Hope you hear good news soon St Albans Dad
Sephora

Post by Sephora »

Good luck
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now