Appeal - Fair and Objective

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Lovelyjam

Appeal - Fair and Objective

Post by Lovelyjam »

Hello wise ones,

I intend to go to appeal after an unsuccessful review and am fairly confident (not confident at all) that I have academic evidence and extenuating circumstances covered, but am a little unsure how to proceed on the fair and objective element.

In our review paperwork, several mistakes were made in the clerk's summary. They referred to disruption during the exam, which didn't happen; they talked about his father being away for the week up to and the date of the exam when in fact it was me, his Mum, and finally they made an error regarding a key event at the end of August. Would this be enough to argue that the review was unfair, in that they clearly hadn't read my submission properly, or do I need to go into more detail?

Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks
Guest55

Re: Appeal - Fair and Objective

Post by Guest55 »

Welcome!

I'd suggest you start here:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=41358" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No doubt one of our experts will be along to guide you further.
Lovelyjam

Post by Lovelyjam »

Thanks, but I have read that backwards and forwards and upside down already :lol: . I'm really looking for people who have had experience of the appeal system and what worked or didn't work for them in terms of fair, consistent and objective...
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Look for some of last year's appeals - different panels judged it proved and disproved with the same evidence!

Feedback from all areas might also contain some appeals in Bucks.
Lovelyjam

Post by Lovelyjam »

Will do, thanks. I can't see how it was fair if the notes don't relate to our case but would hate to mess that bit up and go through the whole appeal for it not to count. And breathe....
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Lovelyjam wrote:In our review paperwork, several mistakes were made in the clerk's summary.
There have been a few cases in the last 3 years when this has happened. I can't find them immediately, but if you hunt around, you should turn them up.
They referred to disruption during the exam, which didn't happen;
That is really significant because it casts doubt over whether it was your case that was being considered, or whether the Review notes refer in their entirety to your case.
they talked about his father being away for the week up to and the date of the exam when in fact it was me, his Mum, and finally they made an error regarding a key event at the end of August.
These are subsidiary points, depending on what the significant event was, and whether it really had a bearing on the outcome of the 11+. (PM me on that point if you wish to.)
Would this be enough to argue that the review was unfair, in that they clearly hadn't read my submission properly, or do I need to go into more detail?
The errors certainly suggest that your Review was not conducted thoroughly. You will find references on the main Review Sticky to the fact that each Review receives an average of 6 minutes discussion time, and that is borne out in the covering letter that parents receive with the result of the Review. If part of that 6 minutes was dedicated to discussing erroneous "facts", then you certainly could argue that the Review was anything but fair!
MaggieMay

Post by MaggieMay »

Hi
In my opinion, I think you should definitely list all the inconsistencies in the clerk's notes for your review within your appeal evidence as that would perhaps cast doubt in the panel's mind whether the review had been carried out F/C/O. However, as Guess55 has pointed out, you cannot second guess the conclusion your particular panel will come to as all panels are not only independent of the school/LA but of each other too.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

FCO is obviously very important but don't forget to continue to build up the academic evidence! You do need to prove your child is 'academically suitable for GS' when you get over the FCO hurdle.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now