GCSE A*- G vs. 9 - 1 system

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
PurpleDuck

GCSE A*- G vs. 9 - 1 system

Post by PurpleDuck »

Apologies if it's a daft question, but does the change of the grading system (and the curriculum) in GCSEs mean that the 'old' GCSEs may be viewed as inferior to the new ones? According to DS's (y10) form tutor, his exams will be marked based on the A* - G system, and most of his exams will be IGCSE. Is it likely to put him at a disadvantage in any way, or does it not matter?
Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Guest55

Re: GCSE A*- G vs. 9 - 1 system

Post by Guest55 »

If he is in Year 10 then only English and Maths GCSEs are in the new grading.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Thank you, Guest55.

I think he may 'escape' the new maths format as he is doing his maths IGCSE a year early, so this year.

Will the change in the grading system apply to English IGCSEs or is it only 'standard' GCSEs that will change?
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Early GCSE is not a good idea ... is he sure to get an A*?

I've no idea about iGCSE ... sorry.

Is this a state school? If so he'll need to sit the new GCSE maths for the performance tables.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Guest55 wrote:Early GCSE is not a good idea ... is he sure to get an A*?

It's an indie school. He is in the top set, they had a mock after the New Year and all boys in that set are expected to achieve A*. They will have some more tests after Easter and I assume that is someone is faltering, they will not be allowed to take their maths GCSE early. I was (still am) a bit dubious about the purpose of doing it this year, but apparently the reason is so that they can start on A-level curriculum in Y11.

What is the main reason for you to say that early maths GCSE is not a good idea? DS has a friend in a comprehensive and he is doing 4 or 5 GCSEs a year early. I can't really see the point if it is meant to be a 2-year course.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Universities prefer to see all GCSEs taken at the same time - they make no allowance for the fact they are sat early ie still look for top grades.

For your son's year group it is a particular concern because they should be taking the new exams - in fact the old ones won't count for the League tables - presumably a Private school isn't bothered about that?
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Guest55 wrote:Universities prefer to see all GCSEs taken at the same time - they make no allowance for the fact they are sat early ie still look for top grades.
Perhaps it's not going to be too much of an issue from universities' point of view if he does get an A*? Maybe I should clarify with the school how they make it work.

As for performance tables, they are not even included in them, as the vast majority of the exams are IGCSEs and from what I've read, those are not an officially recognized measure for the tables purposes.
doodles

Post by doodles »

PD have pm'd
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Thank you, got it.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

PD most independent school pupils are in the same position. Given the main time that your grades will count is as you head to 6th form, and then to uni, he will be being judged alongside his peers, so there shouldn't be a problem. I suspect that it will be the pupils taking the new qualifications who will initially have a problem as it may take a year or two for 6th forms and unis to determine what the new grades mean.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now