Appeal for messing up order of one answers on one section?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Atomic

Appeal for messing up order of one answers on one section?

Post by Atomic »

My dd got mixed up with the order of one of the sections on her 11+ paper.
That section scored worst.

On top of that, the invigilator told the children not to worry if they didn't finish a section in the time given as that was fine.
My dd thought that meant you should leave any remaining unanswered spaces blank ... had she filled in A A A ... she might have made up the 2 points she missed her first choice by.

Do these issue merit an appeal?

Any advice gratefully received.
hermanmunster

Re: Appeal for messing up order of one answers on one sectio

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Atomic

Very frustrating if you realise that they have mixed up the order on a section. You can certainly appeal and explain this however you will have to also provide evidence of academic ability as this is the key to appealing. Have you read the FAQ yet ? http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... lification" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Atomic

Re: Appeal for messing up order of answers on one section?

Post by Atomic »

Thanks Herman - yes I've read the info but am feeling incredibly nervous about the whole thing.

I feel like I don't want to be a bother to anyone but realise this is ridiculous!

Am dreading getting academic ability evidence together as, although i have no doubt that DD can cope at GS, I know her school and the Head have no interest in helping us out with this ...

'Revision' was DIY and very minimal - a few papers over summer as I wanted DD to go to the the right school for her and on her own merit but can't help feeling that she wouldn't have left out questions nor got mixed up had she had more practice.

Feel like I have sabotaged her chances with this approach :(
Macca

Post by Macca »

Don't be hard on yourself. You could have done all the revision in the world and your child may still have mixed up the answers in the exam. These things can happen when you factor in the unfamiliar surroundings of an exam room. What I would say is that it's vital you have the primary school's help and support. Not only to help gather the academic evidence (which is a must for the appeal) but it also gives weight to your argument of your child's suitability for GS. Good luck!
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Thanks Macca - really appreciate it.

Emailed the Head today explaining the situation and asking for his support.

Let's see what he comes back with ...
BaileyLane

Post by BaileyLane »

Hi Atomic, let's hope the HT supports you. My DS is at a school which doesn't get involved at all with 11+ usually, but when I explained situation, the HT has been great, which was a very pleasant surprise. Best of luck!
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Hi Bailey

The headteacher has said he will be happy to provide a report which surprised me as they make a point of taking no interest in the 11+ either.

Very pleased that I took the plunge and asked now - and feeling very grateful to be supported by people on this forum through this emotional rollercoaster.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Got a superb letter of support from the Head with all CATs, internal test results, current and predicted grades plus statement making it clear that dd was expected to get automatic place at preferred GS and also that section where her answers were out of sync is not a typical mark for her.

Very glad I asked now. :D

Can I ask, does dd stay on waiting list as normal throughout the appeals process? so, its possible in theory that she may be offered a place before the appeal?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Atomic wrote:Got a superb letter of support from the Head with all CATs, internal test results, current and predicted grades plus statement making it clear that dd was expected to get automatic place at preferred GS and also that section where her answers were out of sync is not a typical mark for her.

Very glad I asked now. :D

Can I ask, does dd stay on waiting list as normal throughout the appeals process? so, its possible in theory that she may be offered a place before the appeal?
Yes they can stay on the waiting list and indeed some do get places off the WL before the appeal happens
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

That's great Herman - thanks a lot.

I would like some help in interpreting some of the CATS, reading tests etc ... is this possible?

I think it shows dd is capable of GS education well but not entirely sure what they all mean.

Have emailed using the Appeals box ...