tutoring in bromely -st olaves

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Divyamalhotra

tutoring in bromely -st olaves

Post by Divyamalhotra »

hi all, im new here and my son is in y4 in a private school. I want to prepare him for 11 plus - st olaves, eltham college. does anyone know good tutors around. He is doing bond papers, but nothing else apart from it. can u please suggest more study material and where do I get past papers from? Any help would be appreciated. tia.
yoyo123

Re: tutoring in bromely -st olaves

Post by yoyo123 »

We try to keep the forum as safe as possible - we don't allow tutors or tutoring organisations (other than school/PTA and non-commercial organisations) to be openly recommended, because it attracts posts with fake recommendations ('dodgy' advertising solely designed to solicit business on the internet).
It is also not unknown for unscrupulous competitors to 'plant' negative posts, seeking to denigrate the opposition!

Genuine recommendations from forum members by PM only (private message) are permitted - but be aware of the possibility that someone who appears to be a 'helpful parent' offering advice may not be all they seem! There could be an ulterior motive.

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with great caution.
However, we have many long standing members - check carefully the date of joining and number of posts) - who make a very valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a private recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering.

Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'.
It's easy to report a possible problem - just click on the red exclamation mark that appears with every post and PM: Image

Note:
  • • Institutional Course details can be found here

• Intensive Holiday Courses can be found here
Kind regards

ForumAdmin
PettswoodFiona

Re: tutoring in bromely -st olaves

Post by PettswoodFiona »

If at a proper Prep independent like Braeside or Bickley Park that has no senior school I believe their prep for eleven plus (or in the case of Bickley Park the Common Entrance) is enough for most children. If he is in the lower school where there is a senior school attached is there a reason you don't want him to stay on or have the school given any indication of his suitability for the senior school?

DD was in a junior of a 4-18 independent girls school but we did eleven plus for the state grammars and one other independent she passed on all counts but we did all the tutoring ourselves but it was more familiarisation and techniques than learning anything new. We didn't start until Jan of Y5 and then only about an hour a week, in the summer holidays before the tests we did half an hour five days a week - lots of 'maths in real life' and asking for synonyms and antonyms for words in general conversation. The Letts ten minute tests were helpful for speed and practice of tasks like comprehension. For the independents and St Olaves the maths is not always covered by the state curriculum but if you are in a good independent your DS will probably be covering the higher level anyway. Careful about doing too much too soon. A little bit of 'fun' with some quick questions is no harm in Y4 but they are still young so basics like making sure they are reading widely is more helpful.

I would also recommend some mock tests. These help with technique and depending on the provider will help you identify areas of weakness that need to be worked on. If you want to know the ones I used PM me. St Olaves PTA now also do their own mock.