KES Chief Master defends independent schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Turtlegirl

KES Chief Master defends independent schools

Post by Turtlegirl »

Just saw this article in the Telegraph today. A robust defence of the independent sector from Mr Claughton: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... ution.html
Guest55

Re: KES Chief Master defends independent schools

Post by Guest55 »

He's hardly likely to be anti Private schools is he?

If he said anything anti he'd be like a turkey voting for Christmas ...

I'd like to see a proper debate between unbiased experts.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Surely, rather like single sex vs mixed, it's an argument that can never be 'won' as 1. There is not enough data on either side to prove the superiority of one argument over another and 2. Each child is different and as such some are more suited to one kind of schooling than another and 3. Because there are people who choose based on distance, or logistics, or siblings, or who cannot afford indie, there can never be an unbiased and controlled assessment of which school is best because some childrn will always be in a "compromise" school, so may have done better elsewhere.

This is why any debate never comes to a robust or even near robust conclusion, why both arguments run a nd run and run on this website, and why neither side ever comes out on top.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Maybe I am alone on this one :oops: :oops: , but I rather like the article :) (though my DS does not go to KES! :wink: )

I rather like the way Mr C. stands up for what he believes, reiterating what his school manages to achieve, either in term of providing AP for children of disadvantage backgrounds or in term of working with local junior schools.

If I am not mistaken (plz do correct me if I am!), he is not only the chiefmaster of KES, but also the head of KE foundation in Birmingham. This charity is involved in education at eight schools across the City, and besides the two indies, these 8 schools includes also
- five free grammar schools
- Sheldon Heath Academy, which used to be a failing school (but with potential watever that means! :? )

In this article, I do not think Mr C. is just advocating for Indies as he says that 'they are not the cause of education's problems, nor are they the only solution'. He seems to have been extremely irritated by what he heard at the conference at the Sutton Trust and he felt the need to react.
We certainly need people of this calibre in the education world! I hope he will still manage to remain active once retired (at a reduced pace of course) . The former head of Five Ways is still active as it was him who was giving the explanation to parents concerning the MAT. So retirement does not necessarily means a full stop to beneficial activities in the local community!

As for his conclusion, it is a good, punchy and effective one! ( I feel like hearing my English teacher :lol: :lol: )
SSINGH77

Post by SSINGH77 »

JaneEyre wrote:Maybe I am alone on this one :oops: :oops: , but I rather like the article :) (though my DS does not go to KES! :wink: )

I rather like the way Mr C. stands up for what he believes, reiterating what his school manages to achieve, either in term of providing AP for children of disadvantage backgrounds or in term of working with local junior schools.

If I am not mistaken (plz do correct me if I am!), he is not only the chiefmaster of KES, but also the head of KE foundation in Birmingham. This charity is involved in education at eight schools across the City, and besides the two indies, these 8 schools includes also
- Sheldon Heath Academy, which used to be a failing school (but with potential watever that means! :? )

In this article, I do not think Mr C. is just advocating for Indies as he says that 'they are not the cause of education's problems, nor are they the only solution'. He seems to have been extremely irritated by what he heard at the conference at the Sutton Trust and he felt the need to react.
We certainly need people of this calibre in the education world! I hope he will still manage to remain active once retired (at a reduced pace of course) . The former head of Five Ways is still active as it was him who was giving the explanation to parents concerning the MAT. So retirement does not necessarily means a full stop to beneficial activities in the local community!

As for his conclusion, it is a good, punchy and effective one! ( I feel like hearing my English teacher :lol: :lol: )
I agree with you JayneEyre.
Mr. C is only putting that MP in his place. He is saying that Indie Schools do support and KES do support other schools and students...
The World is a Drama Staged in a Dream
SSINGH77

Post by SSINGH77 »

SSINGH77 wrote:
JaneEyre wrote:Maybe I am alone on this one :oops: :oops: , but I rather like the article :) (though my DS does not go to KES! :wink: )

I agree with you JayneEyre.
Mr. C is only putting that MP in his place. He is saying that Indie Schools do support and KES do support other schools and students...

Sorry I read a Article last week where Mr. Gow was going on about Indie Schools... Cant find the link now..
Same kind of thing though
The World is a Drama Staged in a Dream
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

I have never met Mr Clayton or even know what he looks like but the stories I have heard from parents and children who have come into contact with him leaves you in admiration for his charachter and him as a person.In the decade he has been in charge through a time of recession he has increased numbers at his independent school while increasing the numbers on assisted places and ensuring that whoever follows in his footsteps has a hard act to follow.I understand he leaves following a stroke which demonstrates the amount of stress he must have put himself under to achieve what he will leave behind.It is easy to knock people but how many are capable of making the impact he has made to so many young men from such varied backgrounds.What a great role model for so many young men in their formative years.You have to appreciate excellence wherever it appears in the state or the independent sector.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now