Self-preparation - achievable or I'm too naive?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Hmmm

Self-preparation - achievable or I'm too naive?

Post by Hmmm »

My son is currently in Year 5. From last September he was in 11+ preparation group, but we left after first term as English tutor there was no use (math was really good though). I decided to teach him math myself (he is very good at math, so no big hassle for me) and found him 1-2-1 tutor for English (he is not very keen on English). I was quite happy with this arrangement, but it looks like our English tutor has decided to get rid of us (2 weeks without lessons due to some family things). So now I have a dilemma: to find a new tutor (have no idea where and probably they are all not available at this stage of preparation) or to try to prepare him for English myself (considering that English is not my native language). Is that possible to prepare a child for Sutton grammars exams without tutors, just using materials bought from amazon/etc.?
takeiteasyparent

Re: Self-preparation - achievable or I'm too naive?

Post by takeiteasyparent »

Have send you the pm
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

I know of 2 or 3 boys who have just got places in Sutton grammars without tutors but doing Saturday preparation courses (perhaps the same ones your DS used to go to). Whether you can do it all entirely on your own depends on how much confidence you have in your ability to support your DS's English, since you've mentioned it's his weaker subject. A lot of boys are stronger in maths than English and I'd say it's their English that decides whether they pass or not, especially Stage 2 when they have to write an essay.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

2 weeks without a lesson is hardly a disaster. Some people go through the whole summer holiday not doing anything.

If the tutor is good then can't you arrange extra lessons to make up?

If a student goes to Saturday preparation courses then that is also tutoring. DG
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Daogroupie wrote:If a student goes to Saturday preparation courses then that is also tutoring. DG
I should have made it clearer - I meant they didn't have one-to-one tutors but attended 11+ courses with up to 16 children in a group.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is still tutoring if there are other students in the room. Some group sessions are a lot more effective than one to one tutoring. DG
Hmmm

Post by Hmmm »

Daogroupie wrote:2 weeks without a lesson is hardly a disaster. Some people go through the whole summer holiday not doing anything.

If the tutor is good then can't you arrange extra lessons to make up?

If a student goes to Saturday preparation courses then that is also tutoring. DG
By the tone of her email she does not seem too keen to re-arrange the lessons, have no idea why. English is his weakest point, so missing a lot does not help (2 weeks before Easter holiday+ 3 weeks of Easter holiday ). As I mentioned we stopped his group course after 1 term as English tutor there was not very good.
Hmmm

Post by Hmmm »

PurpleDuck wrote:
Daogroupie wrote:If a student goes to Saturday preparation courses then that is also tutoring. DG
I should have made it clearer - I meant they didn't have one-to-one tutors but attended 11+ courses with up to 16 children in a group.
hm.... so it's better to joint at least a group course.... just wondering is here anyone who did not have any kind of tutors and managed to get through to grammars?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Those students still had tutors, it is just that their parents were the tutors. These exams require focused preparation either by a parent or a tutor. DG
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Or else these students were at Primary school, and had been taught English/Maths. :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now