Non-qualification appeal and oversubscribed

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
monochromecat

Non-qualification appeal and oversubscribed

Post by monochromecat »

I was wondering whether it is possible to win the non-qualification aspect and go on a waiting list even if there were no spaces available (school is also oversubscribed)? My daughter was very close to the mark on one paper and clearly passed on other papers. School is supporting her in the appeal. Obviously winning and a place would be even better!
Mehere

Re: Non-qualification appeal and oversubscribed

Post by Mehere »

Yes you can win the non-qualification aspect of an appeal and be put on the waiting list if the school is oversubscribed. We were in this situation in the past.

Just remember when preparing your appeal paperwork to address both the non-qualification aspect as well as the oversubscription one. Its so easy to concentrate on just non-qualification and forget you also need to explain why this is the best / right school for your child and why they should give you a place even though it is full.

Good Luck
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

Thank you, that is encouraging. I think that we can hopefully show that her interests mirror the school's and I do think it would be a good fit for her. It would be frustrating if they say that she is Grammar school appropriate but they don't have space and that is the end of it so a place on the waiting list would be better than nothing. I think that for our daughter just knowing that she was suitable would give her a boost. Unfortunately they have all been discussing appeals at school and she has asked us to appeal otherwise we wouldn't tell her.

I hope your son/ daughter finally got their place and are happy at their school.
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

We now have HT letter etc and a without reservation recommendation. Our only concerns are that she really has accelerated in yr 6 (just too late). She has gone up the equivalent of 4 sub levels to equivalent of 5a in the subject which she narrowly missed by two marks, although of course these are just predictions. She is within Grammar School expectations now, but will they be looking at whether she was at the time of the test, or her abilities now? Should we include all of her marks from end of KS1 to show progression, or will that raise doubts that she struggled earlier in her schooling? We will be able to bring some examples of class text books to back up the levels if they are interested.

Background info sent to the appeals box.
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

Have got some more, anecdotal evidence that the decision not to take her to HT appeal was not a good one. We were upset at the time that the HT hadn't taken her case but had taken others. As we were no part of the process (Kent) we couldn't influence the decision and she lost the opportunity to be reassessed. There is a possible explanation beyond an academic one but it doesn't cast either party in a particularly good light, although we did nothing wrong (we don't have any evidence for why they didn't take her to appeal). We haven't raised the lack of HT review in our appeal documents (now all submitted) but wondering whether we should have. It will be apparent from the kcc pack that there was no appeal. Should we raise it in passing in the appeal or submit something ahead of time or ignore it?
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

Have sent email with identifying details to inbox.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

monochromecat wrote:We haven't raised the lack of HT review in our appeal documents (now all submitted) but wondering whether we should have. It will be apparent from the kcc pack that there was no appeal. Should we raise it in passing in the appeal or submit something ahead of time or ignore it?
Thanks for the additional information.

Although I'm not entirely familiar with the nuances of the HT Review system in Kent, I have never been aware that the absence of a HT Review was a disadvantage at Appeal. HTs vary widely in their judgement and experience of the system (as you have found); some will not even really be aware that a Review system exists, while others may not agree with it. Equally, many parents may not be aware that the Review system exists.

I therefore find it hard to imagine that the panel will question you, as a parent, on why the HT did not submit your DD's case for Review, and I think you can omit any mention of it from your case.

If it should come up at the Appeal, the best reply might even be: "Sorry, what?" :wink:
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

I guess that the question is that as every single person who we have discussed it with (including other HT and teachers who know her - other than the two who made the decision) says that in their opinion (and in ours) she should have been taken to HT appeal, should we raise at appeal that she might have been unfairly disadvantaged by not being taken to appeal. Approximately an additional 5% are taken on HT appeal before results even released and as she had a high aggregate score, good books and missed by a small margin on one paper, she was a good candidate for HT appeal but for whatever reason not taken.
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

Sorry, forgot to say thank you for taking the time to look into it for me.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The difficulty with that approach is that comes dangerously close to telling the panel what to think. "Everyone we've spoken to thinks she could have been successful at Review ... (so we expect you to agree with that.)"

The Appeal is a clean sheet, and I think it's best to approach it as such.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now