English Tutor where to find them?

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Redfish

English Tutor where to find them?

Post by Redfish »

Dear Everybody ,

I am a first time parent tutoring my son(year 5 ) at home, I need a tutor in english to help with story/essay and general writing skills will travel to slough/surrey areas?

All advice gratefully received
Redfish[color=darkred][/color][color=darkred][/color][color=darkred][/color]
Snakeyfly

English Tutor

Post by Snakeyfly »

Hi,

I'm sorry but my reply may seem negative... Why on earth would you want to tutor a five year old?!! If they go to a half decent school, then they will be ensuring that they are on track and you can supplement their English skills by encouraging them to read books from the local library. The idea of coaching a 5 year old in essay writing seems ludicrous, in my opinion.

If you are starting early to try to get yor child into a grammar school, then I'd caution you against it - my son had no tutoring or coaching and passed to go to one of the King Edwards schools in Birmingham (which is obviously a real privelege); however, on a very cautionary note, those that were tutored to get in are struggling and miserable - their parents are having to pay increasing tutoring fees to help them keep up - many up to and beyond GCSE (one forks out £320 per month and her 14 year old son has been diagnosed as depressed by their doctor due to the stress and exhaustion - imagine 2 hours tutoring after school with an average of 2.5 hours homework to fit in too?!!).

Sorry, but I firmly believe that if your child is at all capable of academic success, then letting them enjoy their childhood and becoming rounded individuals with sports interests, good interpersonal skills and common sense is a far better option....
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Snakefly

I think you have misread the original post, the child is in year 5 not 5 years old.

Dear Redfish

It is against forum rules for Tutors to be advertised on the forum. Someone may PM you with some information.

With regard to tutoring in general, it is a purely personal choice. It is an absolute rarity for a child to pass an 11 plus exam without any coaching, whether its by a paid tutor or by a parent. This site is mainly geared up for DIY with members coming from a variety of fields... teachers, authors, governors, and parents who have successfully tutored their own children or are currently going through the process.

Good Luck

Patricia
Redfish

English Tutor

Post by Redfish »

Dear Patricia,

Many thanks for the advice. (yes, you are correct my son is 10years old and in year 5).

Redfish
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now