Current Affairs for a nearly 8 year old

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mum-of-two

Current Affairs for a nearly 8 year old

Post by mum-of-two »

When I was young keeping up to date with current affairs was straightforward. Dad had it on in the lounge at 6pm and as it was the only telly in the house, you either watched with parents or you went off and did something else!

I find now though that we are rarely home at a time to watch scheduled news and as my DC's are only (nearly) 7 & 5, mainstream news is not going to hold their attention for very long. I think Newsround is a bit basic for my eldest (although probably a good introduction for my 5 yo and a conversation starter).

Alternatives are news publications for kids. I have seen 'News Junior' and 'First News' which are aimed for 7-14 year olds. Does anyone have any experience of either of these and has it been a worthwhile investment (although its not expensive).

Thanks
mum-of-two
doodles

Re: Current Affairs for a nearly 8 year old

Post by doodles »

+1 for First News really good publication and also "junior" National Geographic or How it Works for more topical discussions rather than current affairs.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Another for First News here.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Mine have grown out of it now (teenagers) but we really enjoyed First News in this house. We also have fairly continuous Radio 4 being broadcast in the kitchen so they've always picked up a lot of current affairs (and literature and comedy) from that.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

First News bored the socks off DD. She is a bit older now and loves the new Junior Week http://theweekjunior.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; When she was younger National Geographic for Kids was good and she still likes that. We do have the breakfast news on and always have done - but ready to switch off if a really unsuitable subject came up. Now she is 11 we don't turn off but do discuss any more adult or warring themes so she understands. Aquila mag was good but not really current affairs. They commented at her Indie interview how plugged in she is with current affairs so it can make a difference to them both socially and educationally.
Cuddlermum

Post by Cuddlermum »

Ds2 (age 11) loves current affairs (takes after his dad) and I buy First News for him when doing my weekly shop. He loves it, doesn't read it cover to cover but just the bits he's interested in. He will then ask me if he has any questions about items in it. I sometimes read it as well to see if there is anything he should have read.

Ds1 (15) hates reading anything on paper but will read Google Play Newsstand on his tablet and keeps up to date that way.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Yep, First News here too
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

First News gets the vote here too. I often read it as well.
It was recently newspaper of the year which was well deserved in my opinion.
We have just started subscription to How it works which is enjoyed by all too.
doodles

Post by doodles »

How It Works is a great publications and appeals across the generations.
Goodheart

Post by Goodheart »

Another vote for The Week, Junior.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now