Top 180 in Bexley - split 50/50?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
grgygirl

Top 180 in Bexley - split 50/50?

Post by grgygirl »

I'm curious to know how the top 180 is split - I've heard of many top 180 boys this year but no girls? Is it just pure score or do they take the top 90 boys and top 90 girls?
ToadMum

Re: Top 180 in Bexley - split 50/50?

Post by ToadMum »

grgygirl wrote:I'm curious to know how the top 180 is split - I've heard of many top 180 boys this year but no girls? Is it just pure score or do they take the top 90 boys and top 90 girls?
From the Bexley 'Admission to Secondary School' booklet:

'Achieving the selective standard does not guarantee the offer of
a place at a grammar school, unless your child is one of the 180
highest scorers.'

No mention of any splitting by gender.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

No gender split that so know of. I know of a couple of girls who scored top 180 but no boys but then as DD is a girl and at an all girl's school I expect that. I know a few boys who sat the test but these are a small part of my personal sphere of 11 plus takers and I suppose everyone's sphere of knowing will be different. Neither that I know are taking up a Bexley place.
Almondcross

Post by Almondcross »

There is no split.

There were 130 boys who were top 180 scorers this year (from all 5595 who entered) and 57 girls who were top 180 scorers. 31 boys were from bexley, 12 girls were from bexley.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Almondcross wrote:There is no split.

There were 130 boys who were top 180 scorers this year (from all 5595 who entered) and 57 girls who were top 180 scorers. 31 boys were from bexley, 12 girls were from bexley.
Thank you for that information.

I understand that the top 180 was originally set up so that more boys from north Bexley could get into the grammars. Please remember that the exams used to be a totally different set up. The problem was significantly reduced when Beths increased their intake, but the top 180 remained.

It is interesting that there were so many boys who were top 180 last year as this CEM style of test, so reliant on vocabulary was supposed to favour girls.

Of course it is not that relevant because few of those top 180 choose Bexley schools. I have researched this issue in the past and was very surprised that about only 60 children would choose the schools.

The reality is that of those 5,595 a lot of children take more tests in other regions or independents. When your child has made it to the top 180, you may then try the independents and go for scholarships and bursaries. All those that I know of being top 180 are boys.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Interesting that my DD's results letter says that 5,499 sat this year and not 5595. Perhaps the others were late sitters? As the top 180 gets allocated at the first round, but a score gets given out in that first round which qualifies for the top 180, what happens to those late sitters who get the high score, do they also qualify as extras on top of the top 180 (if that makes sense!)? I don't need to know as it is in the past for us but may be of interest for those taking it in the future if anyone has an answer.
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

It seems a shame that only approx. 60 of the top 180 scorers name Bexley schools (if that is the case). Surely Bexley Council should look at disseminating the spaces down until they have the top 180 students who actually name Bexley schools as their first preference? There must be plenty of local people who would welcome this.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

If you want local places for local students then just a pass is needed as they qualify on proximity. I can't see how administratively passing a 'top 180' place down to 181 and so on, if someone turns down a place, can be done without a huge amount of time and resource. Passing down the top 180 places would also most likely remove places from local children as a top 180 place is for someone anywhere but a pass is for those closest to the school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now