Appeal help!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
geranium

Appeal help!

Post by geranium »

Hello, I would be very grateful for some appeal advice - I'm not sure if I've gathered enough information. My daughter loved TGS and has her heart set on going there. She got 365 in her 11plus and the cut off score was 366, so really close! She has always has scored very high in CATS, her last tests she scored 141 in the maths section whereas in the 11 plus her maths score was lower than the others at 118. The headteacher, year 6 teacher and tutor have written letters saying she is very able etc and that the maths score didn't reflect her true ability, also saying that she is working at a level 6 ( by old levels)in all areas. Is this enough for an appeal? Do I need evidence of CATS other than the school's letters? Help!
PurpleDog

Re: Appeal help!

Post by PurpleDog »

It sounds as though you should have a pretty good chance of your daughter getting in on the second round based on how close her score is.
My daughter is at TGS and absolutely loves it!
DD2 hasn't got a place yet but we are appealing for Weald.
I have heard that appeals for TGS are pretty tough but don't let that put you off. Just gather as much evidence as you can about why TGS is the best fit for your daughter.
For us, the IB was a big deciding factor as we felt that would suit her really well, she was also very keen on languages and very able.
Obviously the academic evidence is important, but there may be other reasons why you prefer TGS and feel it is right for your daughter.

Good Luck!
If you have any questions about TGS, give me a shout.
geranium

Post by geranium »

Thank you PurpleDog! Good luck with your daughter gaining a place at Weald. We love the idea of the IB and it's great to hear that your eldest daughter is enjoying TGS. Not sure whether to send in school reports etc or if letters from school are enough? What do you think?
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

I think you need to figure out what it is you are trying to show and then decide whether the school reports provide any additional evidence. We provided Science and Maths reports to show ability there.
Gather together all the evidence you can and then decide what best supports your case. Now point in sending a whole load of stuff that doesn't really add anything.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now