Toughest 11+ Maths papers

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Northdad

Toughest 11+ Maths papers

Post by Northdad »

I have been surfing the web to see what papers I can find for my DD who intends to sit Indies and Grammar. As you would expect the degree of difficulty varies wildly between schools. Of the schools I have come across I think the Manchester Grammar School (MGS) exams are the toughest. Do people agree with me or would you nominate another school for the toughest exam?

Also not being from the area, does anyone have any idea what constitutes a good enough mark for entry. Just curious.

Thanks
ToadMum

Re: Toughest 11+ Maths papers

Post by ToadMum »

Northdad wrote:I have been surfing the web to see what papers I can find for my DD who intends to sit Indies and Grammar. As you would expect the degree of difficulty varies wildly between schools. Of the schools I have come across I think the Manchester Grammar School (MGS) exams are the toughest. Do people agree with me or would you nominate another school for the toughest exam?

Also not being from the area, does anyone have any idea what constitutes a good enough mark for entry. Just curious.

Thanks
Which area?

You might look at Australian schools' entrance exams - according to a poster on here a while back, they are probably about A level standard, having been 'beefed up' because the wrong line of person kept getting into the schools :shock:

And please don't take my post as 'casting nasturtiums' on your desires, or anything :) . Seriously, there was such a thread...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Northdad

Post by Northdad »

DD will be sitting for N. London selectives. Loves a challenge and MGS papers certainly gives her that... any others?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Which schools will she be sitting? DG
Northdad

Post by Northdad »

NLCS, Habs, St Helens, HBS, WGGS...
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Is she in Y5? I would suggest that CEM and Standard format English should be your main focus not Maths. Are you in catchment for Watford girls? It is a small catchment. I encounter parents all the time who do not realise they are not in catchment. DG
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

St Paul's Girls' School has some sample papers on their website - two for each of English, maths and comprehension.
http://spgs.org/admissions/entry-at-11/ ... eparation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is also a series of maths books "11+ Super Selective Maths: 30 Advanced Questions"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... aths+11%2B" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We bought all three books in the series, but only did a few selected questions from them, as I though they were by far more difficult than what was be needed for the exam. If your DD likes a challenge, maybe she would like those.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Junior Maths Challenge papers (especially the questions for which you would lose marks if you got them wrong in the real thing)? Lots of past papers on the UKMT website.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

ToadMum wrote:Junior Maths Challenge papers (especially the questions for which you would lose marks if you got them wrong in the real thing)? Lots of past papers on the UKMT website.
+1. Those would be perfect, I think.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Northdad

Post by Northdad »

Thanks DG, Purple duck and Toad mum. Very helpful, will look at those. (DG, yes we are in the outer catchment for WGGS and are also focusing on English and CEM) .