Just curious - hope you don't mind me asking

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BucksBornNBred

Just curious - hope you don't mind me asking

Post by BucksBornNBred »

My DC is in Yr 7 and I was speaking with a parent from his old school who told me that one of his ex-classmates got a full (100%) scholarship to a Bucks indie. Now I know this DC is very talented but I haven't seen any talk of scholarships being that high, so I guess my question is "is it possible?". Many thanks.
PurpleDuck

Re: Just curious - hope you don't mind me asking

Post by PurpleDuck »

I thought indie schools scholarships were usually capped at 50%, but maybe I am wrong. Could this be that a 100% is a scholarship combined with a bursary? If that were the case, then yes, it is possible.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
doodles

Post by doodles »

Or maybe two scholarships have been awarded. Perhaps an academic one combined with a music/art/sport one?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think they tend to be scholarships up to 50% and then bursary for the rest
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Thanks for the replies. Now you mention it, I was told it was a 100% academic scholarship (though I know this DC is a talented musician too). I think they also said there were only 5 awarded in the country but it was noisy so not sure I heard right.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

One thing is for certain - it's one very lucky (and clearly talented) child. :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

PurpleDuck wrote:One thing is for certain - it's one very lucky (and clearly talented) child. :)
Definitely very talented and, as you say, very lucky from everything I can see. But just wondered if 100% was actually possible, as I am sure the school's website only mentioned 5% and I didn't think her parents (imo) were that badly off, if you know what I mean :-) Or are scholarships not means tested? Whole different world to me, unfortunately!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

As I understand it, it is the bursaries which are means tested, not the scholarships (but having had neither, I could be wrong :))
scary mum
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

BucksBornNBred wrote:Or are scholarships not means tested? Whole different world to me, unfortunately!
It's the bursaries that are means tested. Scholarships are not means tested as they are not intended as means of financial support for those who would otherwise struggle with fees (although, from a parental pocket's point of view, they are just a discount on fees, whatever formal title is attached to them :wink: ). They are meant to be a reward/recognition for a given DC's talent/performance/academic ability; there would typically be a clause in a scholarship award letter along the lines of 'The scholarship has been awarded for the duration of the time at school, subject to DC maintaining their high level of academic achievement/continued dedication to the school's music/sports/arts activities'. In other words, there is an expectation (and quite rightly so) of a child achieving highly and 'giving' their talent and time to school in return for their scholarship, so they have to 'work for it' IYSWIM. This could mean taking part in several music competitions each year, giving regular concerts, etc, etc.

As for bursaries, the usual condition of keeping one is the level of family income from all possible sources remaining below a specified threshold and DC's decent academic performance and good behaviour. I don't know whether it is standard practice for all schools, but those I am aware of, review bursary awards for existing recipients annually so, in effect, parents have to re-apply for them every year.

Going back to the 100% scholarships, it may be that Doodles is right and two different scholarships were awarded, or perhaps that particular school has different scholarship rules from other schools. Or, it could also be that there is some third-party scholarship fund available to them which is governed by its own rules and the scholarship came from there, rather than being funded by the school. I'm thinking a foundation/benefactor of some sort funding a handful of full scholarships.

Scholarship award rules are often explained somewhere on a school's website, so you could try and have a look. :)
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

BucksBornNBred wrote:Thanks for the replies. Now you mention it, I was told it was a 100% academic scholarship (though I know this DC is a talented musician too). I think they also said there were only 5 awarded in the country but it was noisy so not sure I heard right.
Every Indie school is just that - Indie. So there would be no concept of 'only 5 in the country'. Each school sets their own rules but those belonging to certain federations/organisations are capped at 50% for scholarship.

Bursaries are based on income - but tend to be less talked about as you would basically be advertising a lower income to fellow parents so people often lump the 2 together.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now