Year 5 daughter considering 11plus/CCHS exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mum2twogirls

Year 5 daughter considering 11plus/CCHS exams

Post by mum2twogirls »

I have recently received my DD report for this term and her current levels are Level 6E/6S for maths and level 4B for English (Reading and Writing). She scores well (always 90%+) at VR but this was not levelled this term. With only one term to go, has anyone experienced the latest tests at these levels and been accepted? I'm in two minds whether to push for the 11plus/CCHS or whether to forget it. Her school have said that her english level is not high enough......

Any advice on indicative levels?

Thanks in advance.
PurpleDuck

Re: Year 5 daughter considering 11plus/CCHS exams

Post by PurpleDuck »

What are levels 6E and 6S? are they the old levels or something new, as old ones had A, B and C to them?

4B in the old system is a bit on a low side, but it all depends on how motivated your DD is and how much she can improve over the next 6 months. Another thing to bear in mind is how her work is graded at school - my DS finished year 5 with 4a in reading and I think 4b in writing (or the other way round), his English teacher in year 6 consistently graded his work at 4b/4c, yet he achieved 5b for writing and level 6 for reading in his SATs. It may be that your DD's English is not quite as weak as the school think it is.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I'm not sure what you mean by 'push' for the 11+'? If you mean, 'insist that she take the exams', then that is an issue for you to sort out with your DD. Does she actually want to take them, would she actually like to go to CCHS or any of the CSSE girls' grammars, etc? Neither the CSSE nor CCHS will turn down your request for her to sit their exam. However, if by 'push', you mean 'have intensively coached for', then please remember that just as a dog is not just for Christmas, gaining a grammar school place should imply that you are able to keep up with the pace of lessons once you are there. Looking at your DD's levels, although the English may be a bit of a struggle, if she is still progressing rather than having reached a plateau, she may be okay. Have you got her to have a look at the practice papers available from the CSSE?

Also, what are your intentions for her if she doesn't take / doesn't do well enough in the state 11+ exams? As you say that your school both teacher and usually grades VR, I assume that your DD is currently at an independent school? Does it have a senior department that the school is trying to get her to stay on for, rather than lose her to the state sector?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mum2twogirls

Post by mum2twogirls »

Sorry I should have explained myself more clearly. My daughter does attend an independent school that does have a senior school too. Her maths is scored as follows (score 6E)

"In Mathematics, we assess your children through Assertive Mentoring. This is a whole school approach, which provides a meaningful assessment for learning; it clearly identifies what a pupil has achieved and what they need to do to progress. Assertive Mentoring places the child at the centre of learning, so raises achievement for all.
The new curriculum’s Programme of Study will be assessed in Stages: from Stage 0 in Reception to Stage 7 for Most Able and Talented. There are four steps within each Stage band; Stage Emerging, Stage Developing, Stage Securing and Stage Mastered. Pupils would be expected to make an average of 3 or 4 steps each year."

Her english 4B is on the old NC scale. I would have preferred her to go to a grammar school not least because of the £'s, but my step son now aged 21 went to Kegs and had a very successful education.

My 'push' comment meant whether to take extra time to practice papers, perhaps tutor her in English if she has a chance. I'm not sure she knows the difference between our options of state school v grammar. She would be happy to stay where she is but realistically it is not an option.
Two-at-once

Post by Two-at-once »

If you feel your DD will benefit from the extra preparation work for the 11+ exam and she can cope with exam nerves and disappointment if it doesn't all work out then I would go for it, especially if you feel she's got the potential. Alot of improvement can happen between now and September and this might be her time to accelerate.

My DS didn't have an amazing year 5 at school but we knew the brains were there even if they weren't always getting out onto the page to suit the school's marking system! Part of the prep we did at home was to see if he was the right sort of child to knuckle down and work and find his own 'attitude to learning'. I would say his biggest progress was made in the summer term and practising some past papers in the summer holidays.

My proudest moment was when HE realised that he could be grammar school material after all and that he actually liked challenging himself to be better. He even thanked me for giving him the chance to improve and to try for a grammar school place when he didn't think he would be good enough at the start of year 5.

If you haven't already, have a look at the CSSE website for the qualities it suggests an 11+ child should be showing - this helped my DS realise it was describing him. I personally don't think 11+ preparation is ever wasted!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now