What to buy as a 'YOU DID WELL' present...?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ed's mum

What to buy as a 'YOU DID WELL' present...?

Post by Ed's mum »

I would be interested to know what others have done/are doing for their children.
Have you already given a present as it is the effort, not the 'success' that is important?
Will you reward your child only if the result is positive?
What sort of thing will/did you buy? Expensive and big, inexpensive but thoughtful?

EDIT: I meant to say that I do not necessarily think we SHOULD buy a present!!I would truly love to know your views.
We have given lots of praise for sitting the 11+ and passing entrance exams but have not given a gift as a well done. I want to though!
loulou

Post by loulou »

We went out for dinner as a family on the day of the last exam. This was to say thank you and well done to not only DS but also his brother and sister who had to survive with less of our attention for a while. I think they both appreciated the meal out and the fact that we had recognised not only their brothers effort but also theirs.

As for a present I am not sure whether its a route we will go down but I am quite prepared to be swayed by some of the undoubted good opinions of others on the forum.

Loulou
my name is LBaFBSWaBotNM and I DO NOT have a problem

Post by 1401 »

We promised our daughter a pink hockey stick - she will get to use it at her new school as we have already decided on the independent school option regardless of the grammar school results. We felt we ought to get her something as a well done but didnt want to go over the top
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

We went for a family meal on the day of the test and also on the day we got the grammar test results.He also got a PS 2 game.If it is good news next week we will probably go out again-DS appreciates his fine food and meals out just as much as a gift!
abcdef

Post by abcdef »

Hi
Both my children had a small reward when they had finished their last exam. I think my son chose books and my daughter chose High School Musical cards. I didn't buy my son a present last year when he got into grammar, because we wanted to reward the effort rather than the result. We did all go out for a meal last year, but that was also because it was his birthday on the day we received our letters. Equally, we won't be buying my daughter a present on Tuesday regardless of result-not because I'm being mean but I am sure she did her best on the day, and the result is totally out of her control.
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

We got DS a DS game :lol: :lol:
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

Bought our dd her first mobile phone after the last test as a reward for 'trying her best'. We figured it would come in handy (for us? :lol: )once she was at whichever secondary school she ended up at and having to travel back home alone.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

We were bad and bribed DS :shock:

We said if he passed he could have a mobile phone.
Then gave it to him the weekend before the actual test and said that as he'd worked so hard he deserved it. It didn't matter what the result was, we still loved him and knew he'd give it his best.
We couldn't give it to him on the day of the test as it was his birthday that day and I didn't want to confuse the meaning of the gift for him.

Whatever the result next week we'll be taking him out to dinner that evening and give him lots of extra time on his beloved computer. :roll:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I confess that since Ed passed for Rugby, he has spent a lot of time on the computer and I have not complained quite so much!!
Lots of people are mentioning meals out as a treat. We did that the evening of the 11+ test day and it was a complete DISASTER!! Even allowing for him to be rather tense...his behaviour was so rude and difficult we ended up banishing him to the confines of the car until his meal arrived at the table. Then DD (2 years younger) spent most of the time to and fro to the toilets with a stomach ache - dragging me with her. Not a great experience and we made a mental note not to do it in 2 years when DD sits the exams!!!

Perhaps a really good quality fountain pen would be appropriate (except he loses everything)?
Wallasey

Post by Wallasey »

My DD had asked whether we would be buying her a present if she passed, as she knew this was the case last year for other children she knows. I said no, because if she didn't pass it would be a double blow then not to get the present either. However, we surprised her by buying a couple of things for the day of the last test as a reward for her hard work, and she said it made it all worth it! I don't know what we'll do when the results come out next week. If she passes, I'll probably be tempted to contradict myself and run out and get something else!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now