Employers views of different unis for humanities

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moved

Employers views of different unis for humanities

Post by moved »

Hi
DD trying to decide which to put first between 4 Russel Group unis. I realise there are other good unis but this is her choice: Durham, Bristol, Warwick and Exeter.
She is wondering if employers differentiate between them once she has her degree. Her eyes are currently focused on CUG league table which puts Durham ahead of the others.

Bristol will give her a masters with a year in France, Durham will not. She would like to work for the UN (she knows this is tough) or an NGO eventually.

From the practical side home will be 1.5hrs from Bristol, not far from Warwick, a long way from Exeter and a very long way from Durham.
Guest55

Re: Employers views of different unis for humanities

Post by Guest55 »

Exeter has an international reputation and has a fantastic campus with some of the best accommodation I've seen.

I don't think League tables really influence as much as people think - it's the class/content of degree and the CV. I'd look at the modules and the choice of societies to see which might give the best fit.

Which degree is it?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:Exeter has an international reputation and has a fantastic campus with some of the best accommodation I've seen.

I don't think League tables really influence as much as people think - it's the class/content of degree and the CV. I'd look at the modules and the choice of societies to see which might give the best fit.

Which degree is it?
As far as I am aware, there are few, if any, universities which are completely beyond the pale in all subjects (even London Met has a good rep for Architecture :lol: ) - certainly none of those. Perhaps I am just too idealistic, but I wouldn't want to work for an employer so blinkered as to consider only the institution - from either angle - and not the course and more importantly the actual achievements and skills of the candidate.

The bottom line is, though, I'm afraid I have no idea whether individual employers would discriminate or not, but would assume that the four universities under consideration would have a similar 'face value'. Unless something about one of them definitely puts her off going there, my advice would be to go for the course which most interests her and to which she feels happiest about devoting the next 3 / 4 years.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Every employer is different and the old university favourites list is starting to go by the bye. My employer for example will shortlist at least a percentage of candidates who have no graduates as parents regardless of university that the applicant attends. When I applied for my second job (aeons ago) I was the only one out of about 50 who wasn't from a Russell Group University. By HR rules it should have gone in the bin on first cut but more down to failings of others than my stand out abilities I made the cut and got the job. That same employer now has learnt their lesson that blunt cuts of CVs by Uni doesn't serve them well so they filter on a combination of other factors such as summer placements, profiling and so on. Durham is still seen as the 'couldn't quite make Oxbridge but superb institution', Exeter has a great reputation but from speaking with HR friends they've been a bit disenchanted with the homogenous output they've seen in recent years so not against it but they are starting to expect boring candidates from Exeter (don't shoot the messenger just passing on info!) so unless they stand out on CVs they are slightly less enthusiastic about Exeter grads than in the past. For science grads then a whole different set of Unis than those listed.

Is there any standout difference in the syllabus that appeals to your DC? This will hold them in good stead on an interview in the future about logical choices and not trying to second-guess the employment market in a few years time. Bristol from what you say sounds like a good fit for the opportunity of the year in France and the doors that could open.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Exeter's reputation is stronger than ever so perhaps its the sort of people their companies attract rather than the uni they went to!
moved

Post by moved »

The degree is Liberal Arts and her first choice is Bristol or Durham, both require A*AA.

Back up will be history and French from either Exeter or Warwick, both require AAB.

All 4 yrs but only Bristol gives a masters at the end.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

We looked at the Lib Arts at B'ham and Bristol - both looked good, probably much more cohesive than Durham.

(the comments that we heard from Durham were related to people wanting to do popular modules, seemed that those doing the formal degree got first dibs at these)
Amber

Post by Amber »

My very very strong advice here is for DD to choose the one she likes the best. This is based on a lot of experience with one child and including three of the universities you mention there.

Does she like the idea of 'formals' and a very strong college identity? (Not everyone's cup of tea = Durham)

Has she looked at the living out options for second year+ students at Warwick? (Just saying)

If she likes where she is she will do well, even if it is slightly less 'prestigious' than somewhere she wouldn't be as happy. The demographic of intake at these institutions isn't the same and you have a city centre university, two campuses and a collegiate one there. That makes for a very different experience.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

moved wrote:Hi
DD trying to decide which to put first between 4 Russel Group unis. I realise there are other good unis but this is her choice: Durham, Bristol, Warwick and Exeter.
She is wondering if employers differentiate between them once she has her degree. Her eyes are currently focused on CUG league table which puts Durham ahead of the others.

Bristol will give her a masters with a year in France, Durham will not. She would like to work for the UN (she knows this is tough) or an NGO eventually.

From the practical side home will be 1.5hrs from Bristol, not far from Warwick, a long way from Exeter and a very long way from Durham.
The question is too wide at the moment.What is the exact course ? The only one I have over the years not put in the top flight is Exeter.But then I am conservative with a small c.Anything with an international dimension can only enhance your daughters marketability as a potential employee.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Apologies for the ignorance I hadn't heard of a Liberal Arts degree before.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now