Acne/spots on top of back/chest - prom deadline approaching!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
franticmum

Acne/spots on top of back/chest - prom deadline approaching!

Post by franticmum »

My daughter is concerned that she has a very spotty top of back/chest and tops of arms (but only the odd one on her face) and her prom dress for June has a strapless bodice so will reveal all. She has also quite a bit of red scarring on her back from these spots.

I've found some other threads on acne treatments but wonder if these are suitable for body, instead of face. I'm reluctant to put her on anti-biotics (or the pill!) so would value some advice on some successful washes/treatments/creams, etc.

Thanks
scary mum

Re: Acne/spots on top of back/chest - prom deadline approach

Post by scary mum »

A bit of sunshine before her prom? A tasteful wrap to drape? I don't know about creams but I'm sure someone else will. She won't be alone & I bet it's not as noticeable as she thinks it is.
scary mum
doodles

Post by doodles »

I went to the pharmacist with DS1 as he wanted to take a break from the anti biotics the dr prescribed. They were really helpful and we came away with a cream called acnecide which seems to be doing quite a good job. I would recommend going to pharmacist for something from their side of the counter.
KB

Post by KB »

If it's within budget, professionally applied light coloured fake tan?
Practice with using light make up?
A mild exfoliating scrub a couple of times a week might help.
Be careful not to over stimulate sebum production by too much attention.

Trying not to worry about it is probably the best approach. If DD looks lovely and has fun it's a good bet that nobody will care even if they do notice.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

I was referred to a dermatologist by my GP following all sorts of unsuccessful steps and the consultant prescribed an anti bacterial shampoo which I use regularly all over the body and a lotion for any spots if they occur.The spots are very rare now and the lotion rarely used.The treatment was for folliculitis.

1. Anti Bacterial shampoo Dermol 500 lotion (Dermal Laboratories Ltd)
2. Clindamycin 1% aqueous lotion

You will need to seek specific medical advice on your dds condition as some acnes may be folliculitis.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Boots sell 'Acne Relief Tablets' - they are a herbal remedy, containing burdock, blue flag and sarsaparilla. I bought them for DS when he started coming up with spots, he's been taking them for about a couple of months now (3 tablets a day) and his skin is perfectly clear, so they might help. Also, make sure your DD drinks plenty of water (and maybe eats more fruit/raw veg, too) that also helps with keeping skin clear.

As for any facial preparations used on chest/shoulders - that would be fine. Skin on the face is often more sensitive than on other parts of the body, so if something is suitable for use on the face, it will not do any harm on the chest. Perhaps your DD could try some of those anti-acne facial washes, anti-bacterial facial toners and clay-based face-masks on her shoulders?

Also, we have some Tea Trea and Witch Hazel cream called 'Teangi' by Lanes Health which we have been using successfully for various skin irritations. I had to buy some more, ordered just yesterday from Amazon (it is about £4 a tube) and while at it, read some reviews saying it's excellent for all sorts of spots and pimples. It's all natural ingredients, antiseptic and antibacterial and should help calm down the spots. Good luck. :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

Thank you all for those tips and advice. She's not stressed about it as such, just disappointed. Luckily the dress does come with a shoulder scarfy thing which she can put around shoulders rather than draped around back and over elbows, if necessary.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Can I suggest a good strong probiotic for all young people that have acne. VSL#3 is a pharmaceutical grade one with 450 billion live bacteria. It is a bit pricy (to say the least) but 30 days of that should suffice, followed by something multi-strain in the 30 billion region such as UDO's as a maintenance. Healthy gut flora implicated in making sure that the immune system does it's job effectively. Probiotics should be taken with a meal.

Secondly reducing sugar and white flour intake also reduces acne as does increasing good fat intake (yes increasing) that is; olive oil, fish oil, avocado oil and not rancid vegetable and nut oils or margarines with omega 6's in.
Sea buckthorn oil on the skin is said to be effective and she could also use a skin brush to get the oxygen flowing to her back. And yes, sun (vitamin D), fresh air and exercise.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Eccentric wrote:Can I suggest a good strong probiotic for all young people that have acne. VSL#3 is a pharmaceutical grade one with 450 billion live bacteria. It is a bit pricy (to say the least) but 30 days of that should suffice, followed by something multi-strain in the 30 billion region such as UDO's as a maintenance. Healthy gut flora implicated in making sure that the immune system does it's job effectively. Probiotics should be taken with a meal.
Blimey, that really is a nuclear strength probiotic! I don't think I've taken anything stronger than 4.5 billion organisms per capsule. Are VSL#3 quantities guaranteed by the time it reaches end user, or just at the time of manufacture?

Given how potent VSL is, it's not really that expensive at all, compared to everything else on the market, which is a much lower strength. I had a look on VSL's website and they say they dispatch it in boxes with ice packs inside to keep it cool; in fact, it's probably best to order it while outdoor temperatures are still pretty low. Apart from VSL direct, do you know of other suppliers who might be a bit cheaper but would store it in low temperatures and send it out in cooled packaging? Somehow I don't think ebay sellers would be doing that, but maybe I am wrong.

The American website for VSL says this:
"In the USA, all formulations of VSL#3 are medical foods and must be used under medical supervision. Therefore, please make sure that if you are considering VSL#3 to talk to your healthcare professional"

Their double-strength sachets are a prescription-only item. I think the US has a bit stricter regulations than the UK when it comes to supplements, but given how strong this stuff is, is it safe to self-prescribe, especially for children? If someone has never taken any probiotics, would it be a good idea to start gradually, on lower doses, for the body to get used to it? Just wondering...
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
doodles

Post by doodles »

Sorry, I'm being really dim here but am interested in this. Are we talking probiotic as in supermarket chiller cabinet but in super duper strength? and how do they help acne?