11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rittersport

Teachers leaving from UK in droves - Feb 2016

Post by rittersport »

Guest55

Re: Teachers leaving from UK in droves - Feb 2016

Post by Guest55 »

Where is the data to back this up?

Why so so many teachers from Canada, Australia etc move here to teach? Some of the PGCE students will just be going back home ... not all students come from the UK.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I may be completely wrong, but I do think there is an element of "chicken licken" about these stories. I also include "doctors leaving in droves" to this too, and nurses. A low morale type story is easily spread, especially to those and by those who feel hard done by. Add to that the fact that all these services employ in the 100s of 1000s and the numbers leaving can seem really big, but aren't always backed up by the data.
rittersport

Post by rittersport »

I appreciate its a small sample size, but of the 5 teaches that I know, 3 have fled to Abu Dhabi on approx 50% pay rise added to which is its tax free and accommodation paid for. This is in the past 2 years.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You need a sample of at least 30 to be statistically valid :lol:

As I posted, I know hundreds of teachers and only one has gone to the Middle East - and that one was not a loss to the school.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

rittersport wrote:I appreciate its a small sample size, but of the 5 teaches that I know, 3 have fled to Abu Dhabi on approx 50% pay rise added to which is its tax free and accommodation paid for. This is in the past 2 years.
As you say though, that is a tiny sample and cannot in any way be extrapolated out.
And you can pay me 50% more, no tax and give me all my accommodation but that wouldn't induce me to move to the middle east. **** no, and many like me I'm sure. Some will always go. Fair enough, good luck to them. Bet they will be back after a few years though and happy to be back in NHS etc. Again, thats their right, but amazing how nice UK can look from a distance.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I didn't swear!!!

It was the word that is opposite to heaven!

It is one of those words that is censored on this forum. You'll notice it happens to others.
rittersport

Post by rittersport »

Of course there will always be a section of the society that is anti middle east, the Daily Mail brigade. However the teaching facilities in the middle east are second to none and one to see and behold. Of course there are certain sections of the schooling system that are more like the one here in UK, needing more investment and infrastructure change. I suppose the UK teachers fleeing to the Middle East are there to bring the standards up where money is not the limiting factor.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

rittersport wrote:Of course there will always be a section of the society that is anti middle east, the Daily Mail brigade. However the teaching facilities in the middle east are second to none and one to see and behold. Of course there are certain sections of the schooling system that are more like the one here in UK, needing more investment and infrastructure change. I suppose the UK teachers fleeing to the Middle East are there to bring the standards up where money is not the limiting factor.

Hey, excuse me! I am not the Daily Mail brigade, thank you! My dislike of wanting to emigrate to the Middle East has nothing to do with Daily Mail type reasons. It is because it is hot (too hot), full of moneyed ex pats or a culturally really different place that you probably wouldn't be going to Abu D if you wanted to become a part of (rather a more entirely arab part of the country where you could properly integrate) and also too full of money and status symbols and all that is far less to do with a wondrous country than with showing off. Couldn't bear it.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Where is the evidence that they are fleeing?

There is no data in the article which is actually written by a teacher - not very independent!