Sorry

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rittersport

Sorry

Post by rittersport »

Sorry if i have offended anyone; I realise we are not all from the same backgrounds.
Sally-Anne

Re: Sorry

Post by Sally-Anne »

Members of this forum come from incredibly diverse backgrounds, as I know from 10+ years on here, alongside the multitude of confidential emails sent to us for Appeals.

If you joined this forum to engage in the discussion or to seek help around the 11+, you would be welcomed here.

After so very few days of membership you find yourself needing to apologise to the entire community.

I think you have to ask yourself why that is.

Sally-Anne
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

rittersport wrote:Sorry if i have offended anyone; I realise we are not all from the same backgrounds.
I will come to your defence.
If, I assume you come from a high net income background then one naturally wants the same for one's children and aspire to one's children to do as well or better.

My only advice would be if a child has real passion for something the money naturally follows be it being a bricklayer or dentist :wink:
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I have never yet met anyone - high net income or low net income - who doesn't want better for their kids!!!! Wanting better is NOT solely the domain of rich parents. Catseye...

But there are rich and poor families who want better for their kids but do NOT worship at the altar of money and that is no bad thing.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Hey, I, like possibly a number on this site have had their words amended and or threads suspended. For me I thought I was helping but as I learned I was also in-advertently helping some others who hadn't yet taken tests and there-by prejudicing others who had taken the tests - by my passing on too much detail.

Although DD now has her place at grammar school I still haunt this site in the hope to make amends and also pass on the benefit of what we went through. A lot come, go and never seen again, but there are many gems who impart their wisdom year after year which make this site a real treasure.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What has 'background' got to do with it?

Most people want a better life for their own children and those of other people.

The love of money is the root of all evil ...
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

It is OK to choose to pay for extra resources to support your child in their studies.

It is OK to choose to use those resources which are available free of charge.

I have always done the latter, but recently found myself doing the former due to my son's school choosing an exam specification which has very little available in the way of past papers and revision materials.

I found this forum when I was looking for information to best support my eldest child in his application to a partially selective secondary school. I have since joined and started posting in those topics where I have experience, to try to give something back.

I suggest we focus on what brings us together (for example, the experience of supporting a child who is studying for GCSEs in the May/June 2016 sitting).
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

Just searched your posts and there are a couple of other discussions you could be referring to, but "I suggest we focus on what brings us together" still holds true.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

For any new syllabus, no-one knows more about what is required than your child's teachers.

For example, for the new Maths GCSE [2017] the exam board has sent/made available lots of free resources.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

Thanks Guest55, it was his teachers that alerted us to the fact that the CIE iGCSE syllabus had changed since they started teaching it in Y9. CIE have published the new specification (first exams in May 2016) and one set of sample papers, and the school have provided a link to these to on their virtual learning site.

Interestingly, after only two years of teaching the CIE iGCSE, the school is reverting back to AQA GCSE. Although this will have a new specification for the 2018 GCSE candidates, it's the course of choice for most science departments, so hopefully there will be plenty of materials available online for DS2 when he sits AQA science GCSEs in 2018.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now