School bus from Slough to Burnham Grammar school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
neel159

School bus from Slough to Burnham Grammar school

Post by neel159 »

My daughter will start Burnham grammar school from September 2016.We are living in Slough near train station.Is anyone aware about or guide me secure and safe school bus or transportation from Slough to Burnham grammar school.
scary mum

Re: School bus from Slough to Burnham Grammar school

Post by scary mum »

Most get the train to Burnham & walk - there are plenty of students walking from there. Or there are several buses. Just put it into Google maps. I don't think there is a school bus from Slough as it is a Buckinghamshire school so Bucks don't need to supply transport from other areas. There are private buses arranged from some places but I doubt it from Slough as there is public transport. You could ask the school, though.
scary mum
neel159

Post by neel159 »

Is anyone having contact details for private school bus services from slough to Burnham grammar school?I am ok to pay for transportation?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I don't know your area but if you have the train option it really isn't so bad. In my area at first parents like the idea of a private bus and have concerns about public transport but the train means they become more independent, can take part in after school clubs and 'twighlight' classes, rather than tied to a fixed coach and are not insulated completely from the rest of the world. I live in very cosmopolitan SE London and the buses are included but we are most likely DD will take the train as she has a friend coming in from further down the line. I have seen many girls make huge friendships over the years by travelling together on the train and it transcends the boundaries of school year and house which is all very healthy.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

It is a 5 moniute drive or a few minutes in the train plus a walk. Really, use public transport. It will help your DC to become more independent.
scary mum
neel159

Post by neel159 »

Thanks all.we will use public transport bus route 2.
Ear131

Post by Ear131 »

Hi,

Can you please let me know how you manage the transport? I am looking at the same circunstances as you, leaving 15 minutes away from Slough Station, I don't see any easy combination.

Thanks,
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

A quick look at google maps and the train journey is quite short, with a bit of a walk each end. Alternatively it looks like there's three different bus routes that could work.

Have a look at google maps yourself and see what suits best. Public transport is usually more flexible than private and allows after school activities etc. (Be that sport, music, doing HW especially group HW tasks, attending booster sessions with teachers or just hanging out with friends )
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

The train is v flexible though be aware that the first train back after school is the 4.09 so there's a bit of a wait at the station... this may well reduce when crossrail comes in Dec 2019 and all the trains are a bit faster and 4x hour from burnham in peak times (currently 2x per hour). The other thing is that the 8.14 train in the morning can sometimes be late, so a lot of the kids get the 7.44 one and chat in the canteen before school to ensure they're not made late by the trains.
Train is def simple to do and lots of them do it. You can buy a monthly ticket, and it's half the price of a private coach.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now