Enid Blyton

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yamin151

Re: Enid Blyton

Post by Yamin151 »

Seems unrelated but the boys and us were watching "Secret of My Success" with Michael J Fox the other day. Early 90s I think. Golly, I hadn't realised how sexist and un PC it was!
Women are either frigid power hungry or sex maniacs.
Even my sons pointed out how there was only ONE female executive, and she was only there for plot reasons
Micheal Fox said "you need to get off me or I'll have to beat you up" to nympho woman.
All secretarial and support staff were female.

Amazing how you notice things that you never did at the time......
piggys

Post by piggys »

There is a vast difference between something which is merely a product of its time - like dear old Enid Blyton - and something which transcends and reflects on its time, like TKAM. I think it's far better that the Blyton books have been amended so they aren't as awful as they used to be, but you simply cannot redact or amend the language of an important novel like TKAM - it would be entirely self defeating. After all, we don't change Shakespeare's plays do we? The first time I studied Titus Andronicus (his first revenge drama) I was pretty shocked but it's meant to be shocking :o . crammed with racism, mutilation and appalling violence. It gives Sarah Kane a run for her money, at any rate.

For me the crux is that Enid Blyton is not meaningful enough to be harmful, if you see what I mean. I adored her 'Naughtiest girl' series when I was about 10 or so. Interestingly, I noticed when my older dd was into her that the Enid Blyton name has been branded and syndicated and a whole load of 'new' books have appeared which she never even wrote! that'd be an easy job........ :lol:
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Yamin151 wrote:Seems unrelated but the boys and us were watching "Secret of My Success" with Michael J Fox the other day. Early 90s I think. Golly, I hadn't realised how sexist and un PC it was!
Women are either frigid power hungry or sex maniacs.
Even my sons pointed out how there was only ONE female executive, and she was only there for plot reasons
Micheal Fox said "you need to get off me or I'll have to beat you up" to nympho woman.
All secretarial and support staff were female.

Amazing how you notice things that you never did at the time......
So agree with this!! It was on a few weeks ago and I said to the boys that this was a great film (meaning for Sunday afternoon chilling) and then realised that it really didn't stand the test of time!!!
Enjoyingthejourney

Post by Enjoyingthejourney »

That is how I also feel, Piggys. In TKAM, take out all the unsavoury elements and you have lost the bulk of the premise for the novel. It is essential for an understanding of the realities of the time in which Lee set the novel. This is not the case for the Blyton books. The stories lose nothing if the prejudices were edited out. I will look out for such versions.

Yamin, many a time I recall a film from the 90s and maybe even 80s (before my time) and think they would be good to watch as a family. It is shocking how much went over my head as a child, or maybe it was simply more acceptable then.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

piggys wrote: After all, we don't change Shakespeare's plays do we?
Actually we do - there are school versions with some of the rudest jokes taken out.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Guest55 wrote:
piggys wrote: After all, we don't change Shakespeare's plays do we?
Actually we do - there are school versions with some of the rudest jokes taken out.
Spoilsports!! :)
piggys

Post by piggys »

All the GCSE and AS/A2 Shakespeare texts I have ever taught - around 15 - are unexpurgated. I see little point in altering or sanitising them.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now