Duke of Edinburgh Award

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

silverysea

Duke of Edinburgh Award

Post by silverysea »

Does anyone want to share the ups downs pros and cons of DofE, any level?

I'll start. Dd1 comes back from her practice expedition today for silver. She refused to do bronze but her friends dragged her into this this year.

I guess it makes a break from endless GCSE revision. Or should I instead think, what a terrible distraction from important GCSE revision!
kenyancowgirl

Re: Duke of Edinburgh Award

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I am not knocking the DoE as I still think it has a place and whilst I think individuals may get different amounts out of it, I think the amount that universities rate it on UCAS forms is often over-egged...yes if you carry on to do the Gold Award (and maintain high grades) it may reflect well but sadly, most admissions tutors I speak to say that it is actually such a standard offer (DoE Bronze/Silver) that it doesn't really make that much of an impact. What does make an impact is if an applicant has done volunteering, improving skills etc, off their own bat, however...and, I must confess, that is what ds1 has chosen to do...
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

We are in an opposite situation - DS did bronze last year but did not enjoy it that much and his expedition went all wrong, so he didn't even want to hear about silver. A shame, really, as I though it would be good for him.

If your DD has enjoyed her practice expedition, I would say 'a welcome break from revision'. Hopefully, she will be back with a fresh mind and able to concentrate on her work better. I think non-stop revision, with no distractions at all, is very tedious and tiring and a bit of variety thrown into DCs GCSE routine can help them keep their motivation up as they have various things to look forward to along the way, too. :)

@KCG - not that it is going to change my son's mind in any way, but if DoE awards are held by so many candidates, do you think the fact that he only got a bronze would disadvantage his application when it comes to it?
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I am a big fan. Dd1 was able to start with Silver in Y10, took the year off in Y11 to focus in GCSEs and is now doing Gold. Dd2 was not old enough to start with Silver in Y10 but did Bronze.

They both made new friends and enjoyed the challenges and focusing on something non academic.

I think they are very lucky to have such opportunities at such a reasonable cost.

I don't really care what the universities think. That is not why they are doing it.

Less than 10% of the year do it so it is not commonplace in our school. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If it's any comfort, the school DS1 attended up to GCSE didn't even offer Duke of Edinburgh when he was there and although the school where he took A levels does, I don't think anyone asked the new sixth formers if they wanted to do it. He still got an unconditional offer from a Russell Group university (or, in his eyes, from one of the universities which offered the course he wanted), if only of the 'if firmed' variety.

There is always the possibility that one will get out of it the ability to start one's PS with, 'I discovered my passion for subject X through volunteering at Y as part of my D of E', of course, but on the whole, I would say 'go for it' if she gets enjoyment and personal enrichment out of it, rather than trying to second guess how a university admissions tutor night regard it when the time comes.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

As KCG says, D of E is over-egged - unis only rate Gold these days.

It has changed so much since the beginning of the scheme as the particiapnt doesn't have to organise much themselves now.

In my opinion, volunteering or a hobby you chose to particpate in outside school e.g. club sport is far more 'worthy'.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I do think I was quite clear, DG, saying it has its' place. Having bronze will not disadvantage anyone but it won't make them stand out. A student who does their own volunteering will stand out more, but if your child won't do this unless it is through a scheme, then that is worth more than nothing! In our school, like many round here that offer doe, take up is very high - nearly 95% - if this is replicated in school's around the country then you can see how common it has become. But, if a child is only considering doing it for the perceived uni application kudos then they are approaching it wrong - it should give them more than that. Making new friends is interesting though as mainly they team up with their usual friends....
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DDs school doesn't offer it at all, though they strongly encourage the girls to do other thing, either at school clubs or outside school. They even drum into parents the importance of it at information evenings.

It looks like DD will be joining the CCF in year 10 through school. I'm a bit surprised she wanted to, but since it is based at the local boys' GS and she is at the girls' school, from that PoV alone it seemed like a good idea to me(she hasn't really had Opportunity to mix with boys). She hasnt decided to do it for how it looks on her PS though and I hadn't thought about that either. I don't think it will have much relevance to her current chosen career.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

It has been pretty straightforward for dd to do it as she has been able to incorporate things she was already doing such as climbing at an indoor climbing wall and drama club. She is looking forward to the exped as she used to enjoy the camping and outdoor aspects of scouting though she no longer goes to scouts.

The one thing that she was not doing is the volunteering and we found a local charity shop where she can help out and she really enjoys her 2 hours a week in the shop working with a pretty diverse group of staff, helpers and customers. She can get there independently and has had to think about changing plans to meet with friends to fit it in and even get up early on a Saturday! DS has no intention of doing it and I'll just have to respect that :?
estelle

Post by estelle »

My DS in Year 13 has completed his Gold DofE & is on the waiting list for the presentation which is likely to be next year. It was the only aspect of his extra curricula activities which was mentioned at his Oxbridge interview. I don't think you should do it just for uni applications but he has really enjoyed it & had fun & is carrying on with the volunteering so I am a big fan.

estelle