2018 Entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rocky23000

2018 Entry

Post by rocky23000 »

Hello all,

I thought it might be a good idea to start exchanging notes on thoughts about preparation for 2018 entry i.e. Exams in 2017 September.

My younger dd is in year 4. We are now looking to start preparing her for 11 plus csse and cem exam.

Please can we share how we are preparimg our dd and ds? Have you started? Is tution 1 2 1 ?

We might go ahead with a group tution with a tutor who has had excellent results this year i.e. 2016 entry.

Thanks
rocky23000

Re: 2018 Entry

Post by rocky23000 »

rocky23000 wrote:Hello all,

I thought it might be a good idea to start exchanging notes on thoughts about preparation for 2018 entry i.e. Exams in 2017 September.

My younger dd is in year 4. We are now looking to start preparing her for 11 plus csse and cem exam.

Please can we share how we are preparimg our dd and ds? Have you started? Is tution 1 2 1 ?

We might go ahead with a group tution with a tutor who has had excellent results this year i.e. 2016 entry.

Thanks
Self study doesn't seem to be enough for getting into Grammar schools.

We are looking at options for group or one-2-one tution near Chelmsford and Brentwood Area.

Anyone going through the same?
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

We did self study. We only really got going with it at this time of year and only really got on her back about exam practice over the summer holiday. Otherwise we left her to it.

We found she knew most of what's required as it's taught out to the higher achieving kids earlier (she's about 18 months ahead in maths and literacy) so we only really had to gap fill and teach exam technique.

She's off to ColCHS this September
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

We did group tuition but from the start of yr 5 not yr 4. Plus a bit of self study (going through past papers) at home in the month before the exam. My son is off to Kegs in September.
rocky23000

Post by rocky23000 »

SlighlyStressedMum wrote:We did group tuition but from the start of yr 5 not yr 4. Plus a bit of self study (going through past papers) at home in the month before the exam. My son is off to Kegs in September.
Great!! Well done to your DS
rocky23000

Post by rocky23000 »

Proudmumregardless wrote:We did self study. We only really got going with it at this time of year and only really got on her back about exam practice over the summer holiday. Otherwise we left her to it.

We found she knew most of what's required as it's taught out to the higher achieving kids earlier (she's about 18 months ahead in maths and literacy) so we only really had to gap fill and teach exam technique.

She's off to ColCHS this September
Well done. I think it is difficult if you can't sit with your kid yourself to teach or help them. I used to have more time and energy until a few years back. Not anymore.
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

It doesn't require hours of arduous study.

My husband and I both work full-time and I have health issues so not exactly full of energy. Treat it like music practice. 10-20mins done daily as self directed study with once a week input from an adult is more than enough.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Agreed, I think self study can be better as you can tailor to your DCs needs better. With group tuition they may spend too much time on things they are confident on already and not en ought for their weak points. I home tutored 3 for SS grammars and was working full time for the last one, small amounts regularly is best.
JC2018

Post by JC2018 »

Thanks for posting.
My daughter is also in Year 4.
We are doing a lot of home study at this stage while we look forward to more interesting stuff in the future.
Bauer24

Post by Bauer24 »

Hi,

I'm a newbie. My son will be sitting for the 2018 entry.
We have been doing small amounts of home study. Creative writing is his weakest area at the moment.

Thinking of getting a 1-1 tutor for Year 5.

Have to tread carefully as my son suffers from anxiety at times and so we don't want to put too much pressure on him.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now