Warrington

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Araboo27

Warrington

Post by Araboo27 »

Hi all, I'm a bit late to the 11+ party. My eldest is in Year 4 and due to being pretty unimpressed with the local HSs, I'm now looking at our other options. Have only just started to research grammar schools but finding that it's fairly unlikely that my DS would be allocated a place as we're so far away (he's bright but I'm 99% sure we couldn't get him into the top 20 which would deal with the location issue).

I feel quite disheartened! His Dad lives in Stretford but DS officially lives with me in Warrington, would I be allowed to use his Dad's address, it feels immoral and I really don't like the idea but as you all know, we'll do anything for our children.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
scary mum

Re: Warrington

Post by scary mum »

It's not just immoral, it's illegal & you run the risk of his place being taken away if/when it is discovered. And you can bet that people who don't get places would be all too happy to make sure that it was discovered.
scary mum
yunny

Post by yunny »

Hi Araboo, and welcome to the site, yes u do have a difficult situation on your hands, and like scary mum quoted, it can cause a lot of problems when found out! Could your ds live permanently with his dad? Which part of Warrington are u from as if its Lymm then your ds could still apply for Trafford gs. :)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Could you move to somewhere which is in catchment? Or at least somewhere which has better non-(academically)selective schools than your current area? Unfortunately, you have to bear in mind that more children will not pass than will. Are the comprehensive / secondary modern schools in Stretford better than the ones in Warrington? Do you / your ex / your DS want your DS to change his main residence to his father's address? I would imagine that it would have to be a permanent arrangement - or at least long term enough for the school / LEA not to put two and two together about a change in address from one in catchment to out, if he did get a grammar school place.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Araboo27

Post by Araboo27 »

Well that's put an end to that idea!

Unfortunately we're the other side of Warrington in Penketh. Without moving house or sending my son to live at his Dad's are we pretty much doomed? Considering he's already in Y4 and we're somewhat limited time wise, I really don't think my son could get up to a level where he would be in the top twenty so failing this, it might be a better option to not focus on the 11+ and just tutor him towards doing well in a state HS?

Feel really disappointed.
yunny

Post by yunny »

The only 2 good state HS I know is Bridgewater or Lymm High, which my ds attends and doing very well. If your ds is bright and studious then he will have no problem attending either of them schools. Just to let u know, my ds sat for alty boys and past the qualifying mark however, as we live ooc his score wasn't high enough to gain a place.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

yunny wrote:The only 2 good state HS I know is Bridgewater or Lymm High
Both these schools are oversubscribed -I know LH had a bit of of wobble recently but with the introduction of the Superhead O.B.E(no doubt soon to be Knighted) has put it back on track.

Quite a few children from Lymm attend AGGS-I love picturesque Lymm Village and much better value for money than Hale/Bowdon but still expensive.

Timperley WA15 is in catchment for ABGS- and even better value for money towards the Baguley end imo.
yunny

Post by yunny »

catseye u are right in saying both schools being oversubscribed, they certainly are, in LH it is a 10 form entry!!! It was also in the news recently LH came top in the high school tables on pupils scoring the highest GCSE marks! I have to admit tho catseye, I do prefer Hale/Bowden as kinda posher iykwim, btw I'm defo not a snob!! :lol: :roll:
ooc

Post by ooc »

One third of AGSB seats go to boys living out of catchment areas. Also, ooc seats are not given on distance criteria ( like AGGS ), instead on the marks scored. So, don't leave hopes.