Philip Morant / Independent Colchester High

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ipswich-mum

Philip Morant / Independent Colchester High

Post by Ipswich-mum »

Hi,

Our older DS will be starting at CRGS in September and we are planning to move to Lexden from Ipswich.

Long shot to ask but could anyone can give us any feedback / reviews on Philip Morant and Independent Colchester High in Lexden (we have a younger son who is currently in Y4)

Many thanks x
Proudmumregardless

Re: Philip Morant / Independent Colchester High

Post by Proudmumregardless »

We are in Philip morant catchment but we placed Stanway higher on the form (it's a much better school imo) luckily we don't need to worry as she's off to the girls high but Philip morant is just a bog standard comp and kids get 'lost' as it were.

What primaries are you looking at? Home Farm and Gosbecks are the two I'd recommend looking at
KB

Post by KB »

Philip Morant used to have a much better reputation but it seems to be less popular in recent years.

I believe that Colchester High has had some investment recently but my concern would be that it is under resourced to provide a broad secondary school experience. I do know parents who have taken children out of local state schools and sent them there and been happy though.

Many children do commute by coach (back ) to all three Ipswich fee paying schools.

It would also be easy enough to live in Stanway catchment and get to CRGS if you decide that is a better option than Philip Morant.

The other option could be St Helena if you want to be close to CRGS. It didn't used to be very popular but I don't have any recent info.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

The other option could be St Helena if you want to be close to CRGS. It didn't used to be very popular but I don't have any recent info.
My closest school as the crow flies. Didnt appear on DS2 CAF anywhere! :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now