Further Maths M3 /FP2 FP3

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Minesh

Further Maths M3 /FP2 FP3

Post by Minesh »

DS seems to be scoring very low in times A2 M3 54/75,(timed) 60/75 aver. at home etc. FP2/3 similiar.
Doesn't really know how to help himself and I don't either - when I ask which topics DS says it's always something different - force, angle, etc

Can anyone advise (Guest 55) carrying on doing Past Papers in the next 4 weeks is not adding value - his scores are static - is it a case of DS just not 'getting it' 'seeing it' at this level, does he go back and do all topics again using text book?
DS can never put his finger on what topic that he doesn't know ? It's v opaque to me (perhaps DS has set it up this way) When i say would you know that the next time - DS replies it will be something else next time/ it won't come up like that again/ different scenario each time...
Any ideas how to get best out of short time left?

Many thanks
mad?

Re: Further Maths M3 /FP2 FP3

Post by mad? »

Hi Minesh

I'm sure G55 will be along to help soon but failing that I asked a similar question about this time last year (I think it was about M2/3) so you might want to search on that? She provided a link to a website which DD found useful and which will be on the second post on that thread. I'd look for it but m off out to work in 5 mins. It was a similar issue though, just couldn't 'see' mechanics, which therefore took up all of her revision time. Good luck.
mad?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

For M3 the grade boundaries vary enormously and you do need to check that for each paper - don't just compare raw marks - from memory [no time to check] an A has been as low as about 48/75.

Try these:

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revi ... module.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

The prospect of FM is giving me the willies we can't cope with ordinary maths here!
I always wondered why so many FM candidates get A*/A now I realise that only a very select cohort get to do it.

Heres wishing your son the best of luck since I can't help you with the maths.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Not all Further Maths is harder - just different topics in some cases.

You can take one of S1/M1/D1 [whichever one you don't do for maths] and none of M2, S2 and D2 are that difficult.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now