Sets in Y7 at St Olaves

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mumsdarling2

Sets in Y7 at St Olaves

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Would someone please share some info on when children get allocated into different sets. Will they have any tests at beginning of year 7? How many sets do they normally have? Are the sets for all the subjects or only the core ones? Also how long are the children expected to spend on homework everyday in year 7? Thanks in advance.
ToadMum

Re: Sets in Y7 at St Olaves

Post by ToadMum »

Homework info here: http://www.saintolaves.net/homework

Looking in a couple of the 'curriculum' tabs, English is taught in form groups at least in years 7 and 8; Maths appears to be set from year 9 based on the result of the end of year 8 exams.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
SydenhamDad

Post by SydenhamDad »

Hi,

Current Year 7 dad here. Opinions are my own!

Children aren't allocated into sets in Year 7 - I've no idea what happens higher up the school.

There are tests at the end of each term called IPMs for each of the subjects - there are no tests at the start of Year 7. It's all very laid back though, you wouldn't know one had happened unless your son just happens to mention it! You then get a report at the end of each term which says how they are getting on.

In terms of homework, as with most schools, the teachers are very enthusiastic in setting homework at the start of term but it tails off. We have friends with kids at other schools and there is no discernible difference between the amount of homework set in each of the schools. On saying that, there was a lot together in the past couple of weeks although the submissions dates were appropriately set in the future. Once of twice my son has been overwhelmed but it's manageable and it's rare that he has to do any work at the weekends.

Best regards.
matdanjosh

Post by matdanjosh »

No Sets in Year 7 at Olaves - lessons all taught within their Forms. Setting for Maths in Year 9, but all other subjects dependant on options\Forms. Homework is not heavy in Year 7. Half an hour per day on average - some days none! Homework gets lengthier Year 9\10 as GCSE work begins.
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Thank you all for your replies. I like the fact that there are no sets in years 7 and 8, and that all children might be taught the exact same stuff. DS will be relieved that there isn't going to be much homework initially. Makes the transition from year 6 easier I would think.

Does the school do any information or social evenings for the to-be year 7 parents and the kids to get to know each other?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mumsdarling2 wrote:Thank you all for your replies. I like the fact that there are no sets in years 7 and 8, and that all children might be taught the exact same stuff. DS will be relieved that there isn't going to be much homework initially. Makes the transition from year 6 easier I would think.

Does the school do any information or social evenings for the to-be year 7 parents and the kids to get to know each other?
School website 》 Calendar 》 July: Monday 4th

http://www.saintolaves.net/calendars

https://calendar.google.com/calendar/re ... ventpage_6

Looks like you have an info evening the week before as well.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

I do feel silly...I should check the calendar myself, shouldn't I? But thank you ToadMum for the link and the info :)