School bag - what type

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hel_tcw

School bag - what type

Post by hel_tcw »

So, in September my DD starts at St Bernard's Grammar, Slough.

For the current school year she has been using a satchel but is now thinking a rucksack would be better when she starts in September.
What type can dp suggest?

She has one which is getting damaged, it's 30lt -would this size be okay or should she go with something bigger?

Ta in advance
ToadMum

Re: School bag - what type

Post by ToadMum »

You need to be able to get A4 things in folders in, so the shape of the main compartment is also important (some are rather pointy at the top :roll: ). Does the school give any indication as to the preferred style? Though one of our local schools tells parents to buy a briefcase, not a rucksack, to avoid damage to the school books being transported :shock: . Definitely something I would ignore - as do nearly all the people whose DC actually attend the school, as far as I can see. Waterproof is definitely an advantage as well, so a 'proper' 30 / 35L bag, rather than a 'fashion' one. (Some folk advise not buying a bag until your child sees what the 'preferred' - by other pupils - style is, but fortunately none of ours has had the desire to be a 'popular', so the nearest we have had to date is one of those 'nebula' patterned ones from the Science Museum, which manager to be sturdy, waterproof and acceptably attractive).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
doodles

Post by doodles »

This question will divide your replies into two camps; the cheap and cheerful half and the pay slightly more last longer half. I have to declare myself a member of the second camp.

We always buy the Superdry rucksacks which last for an entire year and then get relegated to holiday/sleepover/PE/gym bags. Therefore I spend £35 on a rucksack but get at last two years of school wear out of them and they seem to pass the "cool" acceptable test. The size is good, the zips and straps are good quality and they are waterproof. My only gripe with them is that they don't have an outside water bottle pocket but ds's seem to cope. DH's gripe is that some of the colours are a bit lurid for him when he eventually inherits them for his gym kit :) :)

One year when some of the colours weren't to ds1's liking he had a Jeep rucksack which was also good and lasted the course (that one was plain black so DH was happy too).
Last edited by doodles on Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

We bought ours from Tesco for about a tenner and it was a great purchase ... it is still going after 4 years and is able to cope with carrying all the folders for year 7. I don't think I could have got a better bag for more money, and would say the bigger (and more expensive) problem is finding plastic folders for all the subjects.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Jeep rucksacks last really well. DH and DD have both had them. DD had one at primary that lasted several years and still looked like new. The only reason it was replaced for secondary was it was a bit small. DH has one for work and given how that gets thrown about has lasted well too.
However DD has gone off rucksacks and prefers a satchel. She really liked the idea of a leather one, but I balked at the price, not knowing quite how long it would last.
I found a goat leather one on the well know auction site, offered as a laptop bag, so it was big enough for A4 files. She has had that for a couple of years now and again lasted well.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DS2s rucksack was from Costco (not sure what make) and was bought when DD went into year 7. She used it for 3 years and he is in his 4th year of using it! DS1 has been through several fashion ones in the meantime & is now on a Jeep one which seems pretty tough.
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

Herschel here seem to tick the boxes of trendy and strong. Superdry ticked the first and fell down on the second and ended up in the loft (no one could quite bring themselves to bin them). Mine (Y12 and Y10 now) wouldn't allow themselves out with a Tesco or similar bag (nor would I, so I suppose snobbery is genetic :oops: ).

I suggest giving DC an allowance of £30 and letting them decide. That will sort out something reasonable and if the fashion value is driving them then they get the bill for that differential and not you.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Getting the feeling you are all cliquey snobs on here :lol: The Tesco bag is functional, long lasting and good value. OK, it doesn't have a badge on it but then who really wants to encourage that in the next generation... they learn that snobbery through peer pressure too soon imho.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

:lol:
We just went to the Bag shop in Town some years ago and asked for a good decent rucksack that would withstand DD and were recommended Jeep. (Can recommend the shop to anyone who lives on or near Reading btw for whatever type of bag, hold-all, rucksack or luggage you should need.) We were fed up of school bags that couldn't cope with DD. Having had that one we have gone back for more. I don't go to tesco very often (once a year maybe), as it's a bit of a pain to get to. :wink:

DD wasnt that aware of brands and even now now still doesn't care, a couple of years ago I asked her if she knew what hollister was and she said "I've seen that on tee shirts I think." and was clueless last year when I asked her (on behalf of another poster here) if any girls at her school wore superdry jackets for school. She didn't have a clue. :lol:
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

:lol: Even I know what superdry is, though that is because I saw so many people with that logo on their tops that I decided to find out wth was going on (did clothes really need washing instructions printed on the outside so stupid people knew how to wash them? :lol: ) I don't do labels (price + name (doesn't always) = quality) and I am hoping DS never falls for it either (I even turn carrier bags inside out rather than give free advertising!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now