KES Music Morning

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yellowbox

KES Music Morning

Post by Yellowbox »

Hi hope you are enjoying the weather. This site has been a great help and really useful.
We went to the music morning yesterday but my son was too shy to try anything. He is fine when he knows people but I've noticed over the last couple of years he is more shy. He's still really looking forward to starting at KES and I'm hoping that the intro day will really help. Is anyone else finding the same?
Yamin151

Re: KES Music Morning

Post by Yamin151 »

I know children nowadays are used to performing in front of an audience from very early in their music playing, but I never was, and consequently I hated it and never performed in front of others if I could avoid it. A great shame but not unusual I'm sure. I reckon KES will bring out the performer in your son as he settles in, they will be very encouraging and he will make friends and be more comfortable. But I really wouldn't worry.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

By the time he starts, not only will be have done the music morning, but the new Y7 parents evening, his interview with the Head, his induction day, possibly the Ultimate KES K (July 3rd), the second hand uniform sale, possibly pre season training and various parent organised informal meet ups in the summer....he will probably have got to know a couple of boys by then!

All the boys will be nervous - some hide it better than others, though. Just continue to reassure him and he will find his way.
Bect1969

Post by Bect1969 »

Yellowbox wrote:Hi hope you are enjoying the weather. This site has been a great help and really useful.
We went to the music morning yesterday but my son was too shy to try anything. He is fine when he knows people but I've noticed over the last couple of years he is more shy. He's still really looking forward to starting at KES and I'm hoping that the intro day will really help. Is anyone else finding the same?
My DS1 is quite shy and getting him to talk to people is like getting blood out of a stone! He knew a few boys before he started KES but has other friends now, but still only a couple. He never really uses his phone for texting but I think he feels like there is someone there if he needs anything.

DS2 completely different, will talk to anyone normally. However, went to the musical instrument morning and he didn't really want to try any instruments because he said he had already chosen! Spent alot of time queueing and he played on his phone whilst I chatted to other parents.

Looking forward to New Year 7s parents evening in a few weeks.
gingerly67

Post by gingerly67 »

Hi Yellowbox
I can sympathise. My DS isn't shy exactly but reacts to stress/new situations by being a bit silly. We were at the music morning too and I think he found it difficult to focus on the instrument-choosing as he was preoccupied by looking round the hall, etc! But as KCG has said, it's a useful thing to do as one step in the whole familiarisation process so that hopefully by September it won't be all so new to them. Have you had your meeting with Mr Carr yet? We went last week and found it really helpful and encouraging. In response to DS's concerns re. not knowing anyone and having to make new friends (which he finds difficult...) he told us that there will be 81 boys from 54 different primary schools - so most of them will be in the same boat. It's a big step for all of them but my DS definitely seems a bit more excited and slightly less anxious after meeting the head!
Yellowbox

Post by Yellowbox »

Hello, thank you. This is such a helpful and positive site. I'm sure my DS will love KES when he gets to meet people in his year and the unknown starts to diminish. He has his meeting with Head next month and I’m looking forward to meeting all the parents at the new parents’ evening :)
On a completely separate note has anyone seen the comments on the SATS reading comprehension paper today?
https://community.tes.com/threads/readi ... 063/page-9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gingerly67

Post by gingerly67 »

Yellowbox wrote:On a completely separate note has anyone seen the comments on the SATS reading comprehension paper today?
https://community.tes.com/threads/readi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 063/page-9
Yes, interesting, and actually quite horrifying to read teachers' comments on the test. I think my DS may have done a different paper altogether - said he finished in plenty of time (checked answers twice then read book for 5 mins) and that it was 'much easier' than the 11+ reading comprehension. Or another good reason for putting the poor children through all those fiendishly difficult CEM-style practice tests? But I feel for the average and lower ability children that the test is supposedly also designed for. Not looking forward to my younger DD possibly coming out in tears in a couple of years' time.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

My DD scored 237 in 11+, but was in tears tonight worried that she will fail her SATS.

I didn't actually quiz her too much so not really sure if she did finish or not.

I've read through the TES comments and they make interesting reading.

What is the point of setting a test so hard, that it reduces children to tears and demoralises them at the same time.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Can I suggest that you start a new topic regarding SATs - or join the one that is already going - as this thread is specifically about the Stratford upon Avon KES Music Morning so will only be looked at by people wanting to talk about that, not people nationally wanting to compare virtual notes on SATs?
gingerly67

Post by gingerly67 »

Yes, sorry... back on the subject of the music morning, forgot to mention how impressed we were with the boys explaining/demonstrating their instruments. They were really friendly, patient and informative, even with the less musically experienced DC such as my own. Definitely deserved those doughnuts they got at the end.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now