Not long till appeal date and feeling nervous!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
AppealsOverload

Not long till appeal date and feeling nervous!

Post by AppealsOverload »

I am applying to a Kent GS on over-subscription. I have spoken to KCC and the School and they have 107 appeals to be heard - and historically only give 5-9 places a year through appeal.

I know I have a good case and I have a lot of evidence to back up every point I make. Even with this the nerves are just really starting to get to me - I am having to go to the appeal alone due to work commitments.

How is everyone else feeling? Any tips on being calm and collected on the day - I am concerned I will be flapping all over the place rather presenting my case clear and concise. Normally I am very optimistic however the stats aren't great for appeal success, and I have given it so much time and effort and research as I'm sure we all have.

It won't be too many weeks until we all have our answers and can move forward - good luck to all
DC17C

Re: Not long till appeal date and feeling nervous!

Post by DC17C »

Hi there not much I can say to help other than stick with it ....if you don't try you will never know. It is tough when you know the odds of gaining a place are slim. I have been through it and the only thing that kept me going was knowing I had a strong case - I would not have bothered if I did not have the evidence though I recognise it is difficult to know where that cut off should be.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Try writing out what you want to say - then, if necessary, you can read it out on the day.

Is there a friend you could take with you?

The panel know that everyone is nervous so do make allowances.
Eirinn00

Post by Eirinn00 »

AppealsOverload wrote:I am applying to a Kent GS on over-subscription. I have spoken to KCC and the School and they have 107 appeals to be heard - and historically only give 5-9 places a year through appeal.

I know I have a good case and I have a lot of evidence to back up every point I make. Even with this the nerves are just really starting to get to me - I am having to go to the appeal alone due to work commitments.

How is everyone else feeling? Any tips on being calm and collected on the day - I am concerned I will be flapping all over the place rather presenting my case clear and concise. Normally I am very optimistic however the stats aren't great for appeal success, and I have given it so much time and effort and research as I'm sure we all have.

It won't be too many weeks until we all have our answers and can move forward - good luck to all
We are at our appeal hearing tomorrow :cry: I am also very nervous! I have typed my 'speech' and summary statement out and have been practicing reading it out. My daughters teacher is attending the appeal with me to answer any academic evidence, is that a possibility for you? Our GS have 21 appeals and five available spaces which I have been completely stressing about! Wishing you all the best and lots of luck :)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Eirinn00 wrote:
AppealsOverload wrote:I am applying to a Kent GS on over-subscription. I have spoken to KCC and the School and they have 107 appeals to be heard - and historically only give 5-9 places a year through appeal.

We are at our appeal hearing tomorrow :cry: I am also very nervous! I have typed my 'speech' and summary statement out and have been practicing reading it out. My daughters teacher is attending the appeal with me to answer any academic evidence, is that a possibility for you? Our GS have 21 appeals and five available spaces which I have been completely stressing about! Wishing you all the best and lots of luck :)

'Five available spaces' - ?? Has the stage one hearing already taken place and the appeal panel accepted that this is the number that the school can safely ad required to take?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Eirinn00

Post by Eirinn00 »

ToadMum wrote:
Eirinn00 wrote:

'Five available spaces' - ?? Has the stage one hearing already taken place and the appeal panel accepted that this is the number that the school can safely ad required to take?
We don't have a stage one here, it is just the appeal hearing then the panel make a decision. They told me at the hearing yesterday that there are now 7 places available.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now