HSFG mixing up tutor groups in year 9

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scaredycat

HSFG mixing up tutor groups in year 9

Post by scaredycat »

Anyone have experience of this? The form groups are reorganised at the end of year 8 and the girls split into four new form groups for the beginning of year 9. It was previously five groups and, from September, will be four groups. They have had to list two people they would like to be with and told that they will definitely be with one of the people on their list. Its tricky as DD is in a group of four, as seems to be the norm for friendship groups at this age which means leaving one friend off their list. I don't know of any other school that does this, I assume they have their reasons but it seems a bit of a hassle for not much benefit. They already mix the groups up for different lessons so it must be an unenviable task, as I suspect there are a few unhappy girls and parents to deal with!
Flash

Re: HSFG mixing up tutor groups in year 9

Post by Flash »

My DD is in current year 8 and also in a group of 4 good friends. They worked out a way of putting each other to ensure they all stay together. We are looking forward to a new tutor group to escape a few girls who are causing problems this year.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Our all boys grammar does this too. Mixed in y7, obviously come from several primaries, but they try to mix those who are a group from a primary in different classes so they meet new people. They then mix them all for Y8 and then again in Y9. Ds didn't like it at end of Y7 but actually it has helped him to make new friends and I think has been pretty good for them.
doodles

Post by doodles »

This has happened to both my DS and they have been fine, in fact I think it's good for them. It breaks up any cliques, can be "used" to split any unfortunate combinations of children and encourages them to make new friends.

They were allowed to list 4 or so people they wanted to be with and were sure of getting one of those boys. One DS and his friends had worked out how they could all be together but were split because another couple of boys put a couple of them down. So don't rely on a group of them being together and if they aren't don't worry about it they will be ok.
Both ds's made friends with boys that they had previously had nothing to do with because they were in different classes.

Encourage them to embrace the change as they will probably be mixed up again in yr10 when the GCSE options timetabling kicks in.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Yes, my daughter is currently in year 10. In retrospect, it was a good thing, though at the time there was a certain amount of angst. I think it's good to stir the pot every now and again, so the girls get more opportunity to meet others and get a wider awareness of the people in their year. Saying that, it's true they already have setting, tech groups, form groups and so on, so you'd wonder why they add this in too...
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

I mistakenly assumed Pate's didn't mix up groups, as I knew they stayed in tutor groups from yr 7-11 and these were linked to their houses. For yr 7&8 they were taught in tutor groups (I seem to remember there was some broad setting in PE and Music for more able ones). But in year 9 they mix up the teaching groups too. We had a letter to say they were mixing them (they do this every year) to ensure there was a good balance of backgrounds and abilities in each class, and all core lessons (English, all sciences, core RE, IT) are taught in these classes. As they also chose their GCSE options in yr 8 they have their option classes too. My daughter was not particularly fazed by it. They were told parents would have no say in the swap and all she said was "they've split all the trouble makers up!"
Don't worry, I'm sure it will work out fine :D
scaredycat

Post by scaredycat »

That's reassuring, DD and her friends have also employed the tactical putting down each other method! I gather one issue is that some girls have put down names of others who don't want to be with them (if that makes sense). There are girls who DD and her friends would like to be away from so that could be a good thing. At HSFG they do already mix them up for tech groups etc so they are already used to it. I suspect there are a lot of unhappy girls though, I wouldn't want to be the person responsible for sorting out the groups I have to say!
morrisdancingmummy

Post by morrisdancingmummy »

My DD is currently in yr 11. The mixing up of the tutor groups came as a blessing as a way of getting out of a tricky friendship for her. Having said that when the groups were announced she had been put with the girls she had asked the school to avoid!!
An email to the school was greeted with an apology and her being moved again. It was a bit embarrassing for everyone at the time but has now been long forgotten!

Don't forget that they will all pick different subjects so are hardly taught with their current friends anyway.
No doubt they'll be fine :-)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now