Best timing for ed psych report

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
monochromecat

Best timing for ed psych report

Post by monochromecat »

Dd is 9 and in yr4. We are in Kent and so grammar area. She has passed teacher screening for dyslexia (slightly below average) but she still struggles with reading, spelling and handwriting. Her difficulties are unpredictable, so some tricky words she can read easily and easy ones she just can't sound out. We are considering getting an ed psych report, as much to help her as anything else, but possibly to use for 11+. Am I right in thinking that they are only valid for 2 years? We are thinking also about an appeal if appropriate which would be in 2 years time, would an ed psych report now still be submissible in 2 years?
PurpleDuck

Re: Best timing for ed psych report

Post by PurpleDuck »

A good place to find out about all the rules would be, for example, a Helen Arkell Dyslexia Centre - give them a ring and ask. You will find contact details here:
https://www.helenarkell.org.uk/about-us.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, it's worth talking to the schools you have in mind (admissions office) and ask about the acceptable date of any assessment reports you would be submitting (they have to be submitted when you register your DD for 11+).

We had a report done late in the summer after year 4 and submitted it in September of year 6.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

Thank you, one local school is not keen on children with dyslexia, but might get into one of the other ones. I think we will ring them once appeals etc are all over and see then. It would be nice to get it sooner so that we might actually make some progress in the next year or so, but also need to have one eye on the 11+ too. Thank you.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Remember any adjustments have to be 'usual classroom practice' so don't leave it too late.

In my experience it is much harder to get any additional time for 11+ than for GCSE, A level or university exams.
Bumblebeez

Post by Bumblebeez »

It's a tricky one. Here in Bucks evidence may not be more than one year old (although it isn't clear at this stage of within one year of what date). At junior school age their brains are still developing so although dyslexia is there for life, the way they test can be erratic at this age. That would suggest you leave it as late as you can. However, you need a clear diagnosis to help you and the school know how best to support the child. What is the attitude of the school? Do you get the impression they would help much if they did have a clear diagnosis? In my experience children that are under-performing but bright aren't much of a priority for junior schools.

I'd say you have three things to do: 1. find out the age of evidence rule for the test you will be sitting.
2. Discuss with the head or Senco what further screening they can do in school, and what adjustments they will consider, if any. Explain the implications of the "normal way of working" consideration.
3. After 1 and 2 decide on the best timing for an independent assessment. Helen Arkell is authoritative, although our experience there has been mixed.

Remember that tests should not be repeated too quickly, so make sure that if any further assessment is done, you take a full record of the screening done in school.

More generally: I wouldn't wait for a diagnosis and think that it will solve problems. From long experience, I'd suggest you help the child to enjoy challenge, enjoy their strengths, and to be emotionally resilient. There's a real danger that everyone loses sight of the good bits and becomes defeated or that all schooling becomes a joyless battle. This can happen to the child, their parents, and their teachers. Look up the wiki entry on "Twice Exceptional", and lots of luck.
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

Thank you. I will try to find out from KCC what if any adjustments can be made and the evidence. The school have screened her and it came back as not dyslexic. Her reading age is just below average so school aren't too worried as she will do enough. Orally though everyone comments on how able is she, as do her teachers. I think it is the mismatch between oral abilities and her reading/ writing/ spelling which we are most concerned about. She is so unpredictable in her reading. She read 'algorithm' and 'emporium' but can't read 'buses'. I want to know what we can do to help her and 'fix' it but I know it probably isn't that simple. I think that the school would be helpful, and we can do what we can too if we had a diagnosis/ direction. I think that at the momemt she isn't bad enough to be on the radar. Obviously too knowing if she is dyslexic would help us with our school choices. Thank you for all the advice.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Hi monochromecat,
Sorry to hear your daughter is experiencing problems. Please insist in getting the school to do a proper assessment. I think there is one which is 3 hours long and the screening which is quite short.

There are other reasons why a child may not spell correctly. If I were you, I would get a few books on dyslexia and just adjust her teaching as though she were dyslexic. Methods used for dyslexia are suitable to all. Is your school a dyslexia friendly school? Ours is and all children who were struggling, dyslexic or not are helped in the same way.

There is a program called Lexia, which is used at school. I think parents can also subscribe.
Does your school do CATs?

Salsa
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

Hi Salsa,

Hope you don't mind me sending a pm but my answers would probably out me!
Last edited by monochromecat on Thu May 19, 2016 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Of course you can.

Salsa
Mehere

Post by Mehere »

Guest55 wrote:Remember any adjustments have to be 'usual classroom practice' so don't leave it too late.

In my experience it is much harder to get any additional time for 11+ than for GCSE, A level or university exams.

My experience of extra time in the 11+ for Kent is that it is only awarded for the 'story' which is only looked at if there is a HT review - 10% extra time was given for this and nothing for the two tests despite an Ed Psych report. Another parent of a dyslexic child said to me that Kent don't give extra time to dyslexics in their tests. I don't know how true this is, but it is certainly applies in all the cases I am aware of. I would love it if someone on here could contradict this and say they were given extra time in the tests.

Do be aware that for Kent any special need requirements have to be requested by your school and not by you as the parent. Also, you may not get a response to this request until you go back to school in September. In some other areas e.g. Bexley the school or the parent can apply and responses were received before the summer holidays.

My advice when doing practice tests before the 11+ is to try to stick to the timings given as you may only find out a week before the tests that you won't be getting extra time.

Good Luck

Forgot to say - Have also PM'ed you