St Olave's students petition to Nicky Morgan

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

salsa

St Olave's students petition to Nicky Morgan

Post by salsa »

Hi all,
This petition has been set up by the students. This is the text but you can sign their petition if you follow the link:

https://www.change.org/p/nicky-morgan-m ... m=whatsapp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The school admission policy at Saint Olaves has always been an extremely selective 6A's and 3B's. We have fought to reach and attain these grades so we can progress into the school sixth form. However despite being one of the most selective schools in the country, it has now been changed to be even more selective. If even one C is attained at GCSE, all other grades must be the equivalent of an A*. For the full admission policy at year 12(Revised) see the 2017-18 admission policy on the school website."

Another student comment:

"How do they expect us to attain such high grades, especially if some of the teaching staff aren't the best? The grades needed were already very selective, and only the top of the country could enter but now they've made it even higher! Not only this, but we are also testing out the new (appantly harder) GCSE, new marking system and new 3 year course. Why are we always the one at the disadvantage?

This needs to be said. The qualifications needed are too high and I wouldn't be surprised if most of the current students in the year don't have a chance into 6th form."
salsa

Re: St Olave's students petition to Nicky Morgan

Post by salsa »

I'm shocked by the students' comments. I knew that St Olave's put pressure on children, but I never imagined it was this much. Shocking!
They've already got over 600 signatures and need 1000. Please sign if you believe in their cause.
Thanks.

Salsa

Student comment:

"They burned us with the harder GCSEs. We had no choice but to accept. They burned us with poor facilities. It was accepted as a fact of life at St Olaves. They burned us by hiring new graduates with little ability to control the class. We endured. But now that they've increased the already high entry requirements, they confirmed all of our suspicions. All of our school's values are bogus. Crushed under the weight of the new king; exam results. But the values of our school are not the only victim: Our cohort has just recieved an increase in the already rising level of pressure. But of course, this is all in accordance with the school's game plan; replace all but the brightest and best students with brilliant external ones, reeled in by the school's reputation. How are we supposed to compete with 14 A*s?"
Jiffreturns

Post by Jiffreturns »

Thanks for posting this link. I have had 2 DSs go through St Olave's and have been concerned at the way it has changed under the current headmaster. I have signed the petition and sent the link to my DSs.

I am very glad DS3 is not there.
salsa

Post by salsa »

I have often heard or seen parents' comments about the pressure, but it's not the same reading the children's comments. It is really cruel what they are doing. All for what? Being on top of the league tables?

I do hope the boys don't get into trouble, though.

You definitely don't see this on the open day!
RoboR

Post by RoboR »

Signed. This is exactly the reason why we did not apply or consider as our guides on the open day were frankfully honest and said the pressure was unbelievable at times. Children should have a happy childhood not one of pressure at such a early age.
salsa

Post by salsa »

RoboR wrote:Signed. This is exactly the reason why we did not apply or consider as our guides on the open day were frankfully honest and said the pressure was unbelievable at times. Children should have a happy childhood not one of pressure at such a early age.
Wow! I'm surprised your guides were honest. Three years ago, we only had year 8 children to guide us and I suppose the pressure is not that much initially.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Please keep signing, they are very close to the 1000, but are now threatened with detentions if they sign. Here is the latest student comment.

"I just found out that some teachers have been telling the younger years that they will he given detentions if they sign this petition. This is disgusting and a clear breech of our human right to free speech. Some other comments talk about Onac being a dictator, and he has just proved all of them right. Sign the petition to stop this fear mongering and frankly disgusting meaningless rules which are only in place to make us act like robots."
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

salsa wrote:"I just found out that some teachers have been telling the younger years that they will he given detentions if they sign this petition
I may sign just out of principle and I quite fancy a detention. :P
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's a shame some of their 'facts' about GCSE are wrong ... the exams haven't changed yet.

A pity about the spelling too ...

I wonder why they don't move school - if I was that unhappy I would. What are parents doing about it?

Can Nicky Morgan really get involved - surely it's a school decision?
salsa

Post by salsa »

One of the posts says that some children are moving to Dartford Grammar, my son's school.
Another say that they want to stay in their school with their friends.

I guess many parents made a lot of sacrifices including moving near the school and changing is not that easy.
They even kick them out if they don't get the necessary progress in their first year of the 6th form.

I don't know what the parents are doing, but I guess the governing body must agree with the head master.