Urgent re: appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mumofone2004

Urgent re: appeal

Post by mumofone2004 »

Hi Everyone,

Do the appeal panel and the head teacher make a joint decision on the appeal outcome?

If not when does the head find out the appeal results? Is it at the same time as the parents or before??

Thank you x
Eirinn00

Re: Urgent re: appeal

Post by Eirinn00 »

mumofone2004 wrote:Hi Everyone,

Do the appeal panel and the head teacher make a joint decision on the appeal outcome?

If not when does the head find out the appeal results? Is it at the same time as the parents or before??

Thank you x
Hello, I'm not sure if all panels are the same, but I know for my DD decision the HT dosen't have a say, the panel will vote to make the decision between themselves. I have been given a time and date (tomorrow :? ) to ring and find out if we have been successful or not. I am guessing that the results will be sent to the HT once the decisions have been made good luck :)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The Head absolutely does not have a say in the decision - the clue is in the name "Independent Appeal Panel", i.e. independent of the school or admission authority.

The Head would probably be told of the total number of successful oversubscription appeals the day after the panel made their decisions, but the detail of which cases specifically were successful would be unlikely to cross their desk - it would be delegated to the School's Admissions Officer in due course, probably several days later.
MaggieMay

Post by MaggieMay »

Sally Anne is correct in that the Headteacher has no part in the decision making and a copy of each decision letter should be sent to the school if it is an Academy (and therefore it's own Admission Authority). Both letters to parents and to the Admission Authority (be it the school or Local Authority) should be sent at exactly the same time so all parties receive the information simultaneously.
mumofone2004

Post by mumofone2004 »

So there is no way the HT would know the day after all appeals have concluded that our
appeal was successful or not?

If the appeal panel do not accept the prejudice case; can the HT admit the child anyway?or is that it?

Thank you
MaggieMay

Post by MaggieMay »

The Admission Authority and the parent should be told the IAP's decision at the same time but I am sure there are cases where this does not happen, perhaps in this instance. The Headteacher cannot overturn any decision of the IAP, no-one can do that outside of the courts (even the LGO or EFA can only request a fresh appeal be heard) but depending on whether the school is its own Admission Authority or not, he could possibly decide to admit an additional child over and above PAN post appeal. This may cause issues if there are children above on the waiting list but it does happen occasionally, if there are strong exceptional circumstances. Of course, if the Admissions are carried out by the Local Authority, the Headteacher would have to discuss his intentions with the Admissions Team of the LA.
mumofone2004

Post by mumofone2004 »

Thanks so much everyone, I've literally got home from work to a lette from the clerk of the appeal panel. Our appeal was successful and the child got a place for year 7 in September.

A special thanks to Sally-Anne. Your help and assistance has been marvellous.

Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear, I hope it's good news.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

More great news - well done!

Enjoy the weekend :)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

mumofone2004 wrote:Thanks so much everyone, I've literally got home from work to a lette from the clerk of the appeal panel. Our appeal was successful and the child got a place for year 7 in September.

A special thanks to Sally-Anne. Your help and assistance has been marvellous.
Happy to help, and very pleased indeed to hear the news! :D
MadDad1975

Post by MadDad1975 »

There's actually no requirement to notify both parties 'simultaneously'. In most cases schools are actually notified of decisions first. This avoids the rather embarrassing situation of parents calling schools about their successful appeal before the school has been notified.