Sutton mock tests - who will be admitted

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mocks

Sutton mock tests - who will be admitted

Post by mocks »

I have just read a posting on another section of the forum where a parent is looking to swap mock test dates.

As one of the Sutton PTA mock test organisers. I thought that I should clarify what happens when we check children into the exams on the day and why only children whose names appear on our list are let in.

Up until the Friday two weeks before each test session, we are happy to be contacted and will do our best to accommodate any changes that you need to make. This year we have processed both cancellations and date transfers for a large number of parents. Going forward, we are considering only processing cancellations and not transfers so as to ensure that spaces are made available to everyone on a first come, first served basis.

To ensure that our tests run smoothly, and most importantly that we satisfy health and safety regulations, we then prepare fire and attendance lists. We set up all of the candidates on our system ready for marking. All multiple choice answer sheets are pre-printed with your child's name, for them to confirm when they sit the test, as they will be asked to do in the real exams. All of this takes time and hence our two-week cut off for your changes. We are really sorry if this inconveniences you in any way but we do our best to accommodate you.

When you arrive, we check that your child is registered to sit with us. Where you have notified us of your child’s medical or other special needs, we reconfirm with you the arrangements that we have put in place for them as well as the emergency mobile number that you gave us when you booked, just in case we need to contact you during the test session.

All of this is to ensure that everything runs smoothly, that your child has a good test experience and is safe in our hands. Please be aware, before agreeing to swap a session with your friend, that if a child’s name does not appear on our attendance list for the session that we are running, they will be refused entry.

And finally, for those of you sitting our mocks tests this weekend, we look forward to meeting you and hope that it all goes well.

Good luck :)
grgygirl

Re: Sutton mock tests - who will be admitted

Post by grgygirl »

Hello Mocks, thanks for the info and the work you all put in to organise these mocks.

Can you link me to the frequently asked questions please as I can't seem to find the format of the mocks.

Thanks
Flustered

Post by Flustered »

Have you tried logging into the site where you booked? We had a reminder email about about the tests for this weekend and I am sure it said if we log in using our login details we will find what we need. Having said that, I don't think they say how long or how many questions in each paper. The element of surprise which is like the real thing!
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Flustered wrote:Have you tried logging into the site where you booked? We had a reminder email about about the tests for this weekend and I am sure it said if we log in using our login details we will find what we need. Having said that, I don't think they say how long or how many questions in each paper. The element of surprise which is like the real thing!
The real exams don't specify a number of questions, but they usually tell you how long each session will be - if only for the parents to return on time to collect their offspring. :wink:

One thing is for certain though - both the Sutton mock and the real exams are very much time-pressured, so an ability to work quickly is crucial.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The original email tells you quite clearly start time and what time to return for pickup.

It is very well organised and runs very smoothly. DG
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

Well, that's the first Sutton mock out of the way. It was very daunting seeing just how many kids were queuing. Glad Wallington was ds first mock experience as it was smaller and less intimidating. 179 expected in our sitting. One of the stewards said there were roughly 12 'no shows' for each sitting so far. Ds found the maths easier than Wallington but English slightly harder.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

We are halfway through the Paper A slots; four slots this weekend and another four next weekend and then Paper A is done. Only 12 noshows per session is very good. The transfer policy offered is clearly working and I really hope they stick with it. January is a long time in advance for May weekend arrangements and it is great to know that currently the slot can be transferred so that another student can take advantage of the great experience. It also means that the numbers remain high so there are lots of results to compare with.

Feedback so far is that the Maths is harder than the English but that could well because the cohort I know of have been focusing on English CEM as that is the first round they are up against. This resulted in this group of students finding the English easier.

Every student who I know of who has sat so far feels that it was a really good experience to go through before facing the real thing.

Many families I know of travelled from North London but thought that it was well worth it.

Thank you to the organisers who have worked hard to create this trial run for the students. DG
mocks

Post by mocks »

On behalf of the team thank you

Just to clarify
There were 170 students booked into each of the four sessions

Sat am-12 no shows
Sat pm- 3 no shows
Sun am-8 no shows
Sun pm-5 no shows
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

How about a centre in North London for Sutton mocks?

Would be big fund raiser for SGS.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Those are fantastically low no show rates for sessions booked in early January. I hope this will help you decide to continue with the transfer policy. Are there many disappointed parents on the waiting list? DG?