Which schools within our reach?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BLuedrop

Which schools within our reach?

Post by BLuedrop »

Can anyone please help me make a list of schools that are within our reach? (We have a girl)

We live in Bromley. So we are looking at Newstead wood, Bexley schools and Kent schools. We know Henrietta Barnet doesn't have catchment rules. Are there any other grammar schools that don't have catchment limits ? We don't mind relocating and also, we can make sacrifices to send her to a private school if its really good. Are there any London independent schools for girls that are very good?

Any relevant advice is gratefully received.
PurpleDuck

Re: Which schools within our reach?

Post by PurpleDuck »

I only have boys so can't advise on girl's schools, but please consider in your decision-making the journey your DD would have to make to whichever school you choose. Sometimes a school may seem close enough to home, but a journey can be quite convoluted and tiring.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
BLuedrop

Post by BLuedrop »

PurpleDuck wrote:I only have boys so can't advise on girl's schools, but please consider in your decision-making the journey your DD would have to make to whichever school you choose. Sometimes a school may seem close enough to home, but a journey can be quite convoluted and tiring.
Thanks PurpleDuck. I am absolutely with you on this. We will move if necessary.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

BLuedrop wrote:
PurpleDuck wrote:I only have boys so can't advise on girl's schools, but please consider in your decision-making the journey your DD would have to make to whichever school you choose. Sometimes a school may seem close enough to home, but a journey can be quite convoluted and tiring.
Thanks PurpleDuck. I am absolutely with you on this. We will move if necessary.
Maybe this website will be useful: https://www.goodschoolsguide.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It lets you search for different types of schools within a particular distance from where you live. You can do basic searches (this will give you school address, telephone no., website, email, no. of students on roll) free of charge, but if you wanted to read detailed profiles of various schools, you'd have to subscribe. They have an option of a subscription for just one month, though, and that's not too expensive.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

We were in your position a few years ago. We wanted to keep as many doors open as possible without overwhelming our daughter with too many exams and tests. She sat Kent, Bexley, Newstead and Sevenoaks. She also had the option of staying on at her previous selective independent school to Senior level. We decided against Alleyns/Jags, more because they were further into town and whilst an easy journey felt it was a few tests too many but there are girls from our area who attend and they are exceptionally good schools. I personally felt we didn't want the upheaval of moving as a) we love where we live b) it would mean a lot going on with new school and new home c) we felt it would send the wrong message to DD if we had options close to home which she didn't get and then moved as a result. - but everyone is different of course so I only include those as a guide in case they are helpful. Therefore for us we decided we would only sit tests which had an easy journey. As it was we ended up with the grammar 35 minutes walk away or a short bus ride.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You are very lucky to be an area with lots of grammar schools. Families from our area move to your area because of the grammar schools.

A lot of families who are paying a lot of money for London private schools wish they had moved to Kent some years ago.

I would focus on your local options which look to be very good. Go to some open days to check out the school closest to you. DG