Report on the Impact of Testing

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Report on the Impact of Testing

Post by Amber »

A first class report on the effects of summative testing on motivation. For anyone who says that being constantly assessed helps encourage children to learn, a skim through this might help inform your view. (Thanks M Rosen for drawing attention to this).

The EPPI centre, which carried out this review, is highly esteemed and actually rather in fashion with the Government in many ways, so it will be interesting to see whether this gets any political and media attention. Though I fear I know the answer already. Given that only last month academics were threatened with withdrawal of funding if they published against Government policy, I can't imagine Nicky Morgan standing up to blast this one from the rooftops.

http://tinyurl.com/summative-testing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The conclusions (p70) are worth reading if you don't have time for anything else, particularly the policy ones. It is time to end the practice of constant high-stakes testing - it reduces motivation, puts undue pressure on teachers and misses the point of education. Please, please let someone listen to this before it is too late!

ETA just noticed that this is 14 years old! Michael Rosen posted it today and I didn't check the date. :oops:
Just goes to show that people have been saying this stuff for a long long time and no one has listened. The conclusions are still just as pertinent, if not even moreso.
DC17C

Re: Report on the Impact of Testing

Post by DC17C »

I have to say my return to education has led to a complete turn around in my attitude to learning. Totally agree with the messages in this- though I have always thought that kids do best if they are happy at school and it's is safe place to be for them.

I do wonder if the agenda is to keep as many children as possible living in this stressed condition so the children of the self-appointed elite do get the lovely private education with lots of resources thrown at them...and get to go to the top universities and land themselves the top jobs....just putting it out there.... :|